1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G1 X - is it really APS-C?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by nspur, Jan 26, 2012.

1. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

In this week's AP the sensor size is given as 18.7 x 14 mm and that's 19.6% short of Canon's APS-C and 16% larger than Four Thirds. Sounds good though. I wonder how it will compare to the Fuji X10 that's £250 cheaper?

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

It is between the the two four thirds is a 2x sensor, APS sensors are 1.5x the new G1 X is 1.85x sensor.

I suspect it will out perform the X10 in terms of noise give the sensor in the X10 is 2/3" sensor hence the price difference. Bear in mind the new X-Pro1 probably will compete with the G1 X. :)

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No it is not. Does that matter?
    I haven't seen the either this new Cannon fixed zoom or the Fuji interchangeable in the flesh but from the blurb published on the web I half would like the Fuji but the Cannon leaves me cold. I am not being logical. Logically the S100 fits the bill as a second camera in spite of its lack of viewfinder, small sensor and low cost. The G1 X is just something they ought to do to fill a niche in which I am not interested. Many people not wanting a DSLR may find the G1 X ideal as an only camera (apart from the phone). If that is the case then the camera should succeed.

4. P_Stoddart

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Fuji. But the G1 X is a nice step up from the G12. I believe there are alot of dSLR users (including pros) who carry a G12 as a backup or quick grab shot camera. This is a better performing option.

I think there is a some middle ground here that could be filled with a 3x sensor based compact.

We know the Nikon V1/J1 can work upto about 400ISO (although I think it should have been doing better) so I think with recent sensor improvements a compact with say around 400-500ISO 3x sensor say 12MP can be built.
    That at least means abit more reach for the optics. :)

5. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

No it doesn't matter but the front page of AP says "Canon's first APS=C compact"

6. P_Stoddart

Blimey I never spotted that and it on the front twice. :rolleyes:

There was a mix up a couple issues back with sensor size when reviewing the X10 I believe :)

7. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

So, by your reckoning, they're 80.4% correct!;)