1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Furloughed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

My neighbour has been on Furlough and she's on it until October - at that point she is being made redundant. So not all great news for furloughed staff. You've got a job, yes its a crap situation as your management seem to be taking the piss - but many will be in my neighbours position.

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Obviously not. :rolleyes:

There's lots of measures that have been taken to protect jobs and businesses that have no direct benefit to me. Am I resentful? No.

There's lots of measures been introduced to help people with mortgages that have no direct benefit to me. Am I resentful? No.

Do you seriously believe that without government financial assistance your employers would have been able to continue trading? As for your comment about teachers...

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Clearly you are not in a good place but being angry with people who would probably be very happy to swap places with you isn't going to help. You are in a position where nothing you do, or can do, is likely to be enough and the effect of that is stress, both a physical and mental illness, if you let it get the better of you. Does your employer have a confidential reporting system or is there a workplace councillor?

I really think you need to talk this through with somebody.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You appear to work for an organisation run by those arch organisers Trump and Johnson. I thought I was the worst manager I knew but your bunch seem to make me look good! :eek:

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Must be an airline...

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Does sound familiar doesn't it? My managers were much better than that though.

Catriona likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

So were mine. Well, up to Project Manager level. Above that they were... variable.

8. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

Don't get angry: get organised. Have you discussed this with your co-workers? Have you considered making joint representations to your management so they are left in no doubt about your grievances? Have you considered going on strike?

Zou likes this.
  9. Catriona

Mine too thank goodness. Once you have retired though, oh dear. I've never known people so vitriolic against my APS pension (which is rubbish anyway).

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Those of us in NAPS tend to ignore APS members complaining about the size of their pensions...

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

Ha! Try leaving in 1987 and think that! Mine is less than twice my council tax, which is a pittance now!
    :p

SXH likes this.
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Now we have lost everyone else on this thread I suspect. I'm APS by the way.

Catriona and SXH like this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My husband and my daughter have both been furloughed. Both would much prefer to be working thank you very much. Honestly what the hell is wrong with you?! Your anger is misdirected it seems to me. The company you work for is the one that you should be complaining to.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I go back to work tomorrow, having had my booked holiday even though the trip to Sicily wasn't possible (weather here has been quite drab so it's been a bit of a let down).
    Prior to that I've had 2 lots of 3 weeks being furloughed taking it in turns with a colleague. No daytime TV at all but did get some DIY projects progressed.

Splitting the furlough like this seems a much better way of doing things where possible, not only does it make the time at home more useful, but it also keeps employees more up to date with work. After several months off I suspect it would take quite a while to get adequately back up to spreed. Sadly for them the option wasn't available for my managers.

It seems to me your bosses are going out of their way to set up workplace tensions. If they are being unreasonable like this I'd expect sick leave to increase drastically from the stress...

Footloose likes this.
  15. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Ok
    Just read the last few replies...fair enough - but clearly the issue here is companies abusing the furlough scheme.
    Team leader got up this afternoon and walked out - been there for over 20yrs - reason....bosses expected him to hit normal targets with half his normal staff! Also discovered those on furlough (All 100) will remain on furlough until October....that’s gone round the shop floor like wildfire.
    So they will now have had 6mths off plus the option to carry ALL their holiday over for 2yrs.
    Yep, that sounds perfectly fair! Cannot understand why anyone should be bitter or resentful.

16. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

It's not fair, no, but my point was, life is too short to be that eaten up inside over something you can't control. I won't name names, but there are people on here who have had lows in their lives that make this furlough issue a non event. Sometimes you have to look at what you have, rather than what you have not.

EightBitTony, Zou and Bazarchie like this.
  17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Do they still keep their holidays if they get made redundant before all this is over ?

Your in a safer position of keeping your job when the recession hits .
    Those that are off are those that are at the greatest risk of redundancy .

I bet their really happy to be in this situation .

One of my brother's was put on furlough from the firm he worked for ( and he's family ! The owners his father in law )
    It's now gone under and all the staff are now redundant .

Be grateful you've still got a job .

EightBitTony and John Farrell like this.
  18. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

This isn’t just me, there are 100 staff in who all feel exactly the same. Management couldn’t give a toss as they are getting work out with 100 fewer staff AND not having to pay them. The atmosphere is awful, nobody wants to be there. The quality of workmanship has dropped considerably as nobody gives a damn...everyone is completely consumed that colleagues are not in, We initially thought they’d be back in at the start of this month, but it’s now clear they are not back until October but still getting paid. Next year when all those furloughed have 8wks holiday entitlement compared to our 4wks will go down great. I heard on the grapevine that a fight broke out over the weekend at a local pub, a furloughed worker was drunk and was winding another employee up who was out with his wife. Bosses have got wind, so don’t know if disciplinary action will result. Nobody was hurt as it was split up, but it shows the level of friction at the moment.
    Its a ticking time bomb

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

20. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

So leave.