1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Derek W, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

At least they are correctly erect; a bent back could prove crippling.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Tripods as members on the Forum are used to...

Catriona likes this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

dream_police likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

IMG_20210920_202034.jpg

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If you are going to use long words in an attempt to impress, it helps to use them correctly: surely 'traditionally girl' should be 'with traditional girls''?

When I was much younger, I had elderly relatives who had a very small dairy herd (10-12 cows) and each member had a name, which made their eventual slaughter a very sad event. I don't recall any masculine names, apart from a visiting bull called Roger whom I once saw in action. A dozen cows didn't take him long, and he was soon taken off to his next appointment.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Cows being female, why would they be given male names?

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

They could be trans bulls...

dream_police likes this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Seems appropriate enough!

Catriona likes this.
  10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Because they maybe wanted to identify as male

dream_police likes this.
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

All our cows are pedigree purebred, so have their official full names. Most of the families are girls names or flowers, even the imported genetics (Folkea, and Sietske). There are a couple of exceptions. We have Jarrive, and Gelaforme (we Anglecised the name to Gilly for her daughters) from France and our most prolific family line which is Gem and has been in the herd for 60 years. We also had a cow called Norm, which was reserve champion at the Royal Show, so there was at least one with a blokey name.

12. Catriona

BBC preoccupation at present. I'll wait and see if they get around to cows!

13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

In Scotland at least surely the education authority would insist on their right to do so.
    (Smiley winky thing which my phone is unable to show)

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

242693961_879427982689628_6066400579491320053_n.jpg

15. Catriona

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Last week's food waste bin.

CF Baldrick's rat au van

Catriona and spinno like this.
  18. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Eddie Stobart’s trucks identify as female, unless we have moved into the age of transgender transport.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Catriona likes this.
  19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It has to be said that even I, not suffering (or at least only by association) from them myself get pissed off that in 2021 so much can still be dismissed as "women's things".

The main factor with the never-falling prevalence of cancer is that the population is getting older and, as we age, the natural repair mechanisms in our DNA that act to prevent damage that could lead to cancers age and work less well, much like the rest of us. As a result more old people = more cancers. That and people tend to survive with it for longer, so you hear more from them.

You could certainly argue a case for the cartoon being true in academia (in which case I should really have added a qualifier to the "utter..." phrase, though any cancer cure would have to have a lot more done with it once it left an academic lab), but if you consider that a company won't make any money until it gets something to market, which it won't do without positive trials, it's in the company's interest to make something that actually works. Especially in a small one like the one I work for.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

I didn't set out to hurt you. I simply think research into everyday complaints should be funded centrally and adequately and the profit or kudos direction not being the dominant one. I can't see there ever being a cure-all for cancer other than genetic engineering. However, skin complaints, digestive problems, rheumatism, arthritis, even haemmorhoids, circulatory problems common skeletal problems would benefit so many people worldwide if something other than just attempts to subdue symptoms. That's my real gripe. It seems that only cancer and some very obscure conditions are the ones attracting funding.

Zou likes this.