1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Frame frustrations again

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Oct 14, 2015.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have not been following Pentax carefully but this thread does rather remind me of my days waiting for the next rumoured DSLR announcement from Olympus

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I am pretty fed up with the teaser photos of the FF body. Why not give some useful info? If they are concerned about spoiling the surprise, then just shut up about it until it is ready.

Yes, I have bought the 16-85 and it arrived yesterday from SRS. They totally outflanked Amazon, who were offering the lens at £70 off, with their one day only offer of £150 off and free delivery. Who could resist that? Not me at least. :D

At first I thought the auto-focus was broken as it it totally silent, really weird after the screw drive sound. It is quick too. The build is outstanding, no play at all in the barrel when extended. I have yet to use it in anger, so cannot comment on the performance, but the range is very useful. Just that little bit extra each end makes all the difference. It feels substantial and balances well on the camera.

Now I will sell the K-5 with the battery grip and the Sigma 17-70 to recoup some of the cost. At only 4800 activations it should be attractive, I hope. :)

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Indeed :) "…. it is only a camera …." ;)

Jack

4. Done_rundleCams

Hi Dave,

Glad you're, so far in happiness ;) , enjoying the the 16-85 and cool to hear about the build quality as I haven't had a chance to have a fiddle with it. Looking forward to seeing some pics from it :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Well Christmas and the new Year are gone, the family have all returned to their homes and the cat has finally understood that there is no more turkey left. Work has raised its ugly head and the weather has turned bitterly cold from being mild and very wet. My 16-85 is gagging to be taken out for a walk, but no luck so far.

I will post some photos when I get a wee drop of sunshine.

Did take some on Boxing day, but they were family fun so not for publication. However, they were very sharp from edge to edge, just as Father Christmas had promised. :eek:

Happy new year everyone.

6. Done_rundleCams

Happy New Year, David, and glad you're enjoying the lens and, more importantly, the images coming out it :)

Cheers,

Jack

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I had an email from Ricoh today promising the new 36x24mm model will debut in 'spring' 2016. The image had a fancy articulating screen on the back.

8. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Now a Nikon user, I’ve only just noticed this thread.

I’d like to credit Pentax with another first, of a sort. I think my Super A was the first SLR model to have an exposure programme where the designers had used their intelligence in setting up the programme. I know the Canon A1 was an earlier camera with an exposure programme, but in my opinion, in those simple auto-nothing-but-exposure days, the purpose of an exposure programme was (or at least should have been) to try to give a sharp photo from a hurried or casual hand-held shot, assuming the photographer had the subject in focus. There are two factors likely to prevent this. Camera shake would blur the whole photo, whilst lack of depth of field might make some subject areas unsharp. The Canon and Nikon programmes traded 1 aperture stop for 1 shutter speed stop, so the shutter speed would drop to four times as long whilst depth of field was halved. I remember one of the brochures (I think it was Canon) explaining that a light warning of camera shake would appear, but at this stage the programme would be well short of opening the aperture as far as the f/1.8 (f/1.7 for Pentax) or f/1.4 maximum that was usual for the standard 50mm lenses of that era. What good is an exposure programme that can’t open to maximum aperture before camera shake becomes a problem? But with the Super A’s programme, if greater exposure than 1/125 sec @ f/8 was needed, the aperture would be opened 2½ stops for each additional shutter speed stop. I’m not aware of any subsequent camera that has had an exposure programme that I think performs better than this with a prime normal lens. But Minolta soon leapfrogged this with the 7000, with the first full SLR autofocus system combined with an exposure programme that responded to changes in focal length.

Unfortunately most current DSLRs have reverted to the primitive Canon/Nikon type programme, except for increasing the aperture and shutter speed when focal length is increased. However, with auto-ISO programmes, image stabilization and the ability to check and re-shoot on site, the risks of a shot being spoiled through casual shooting with the camera left in aperture priority are much reduced, whilst programme shift and the preponderance of zoom lenses with smaller maximum apertures make these exposure programmes now seem less of a liability.

I was still using my Super A until 2010, when I decided to switch to digital. If Pentax had offered a reasonably lightweight and affordable full frame DSLR, and the 24-70mm lens, at that time, I would probably have bought those, and updated the rest of my outfit with autofocus lenses over time. But few of my lenses would have had a useful place in an APS-C outfit, and I decided to make a fresh start with Nikon APS-C (their full frame options seemed too heavy at the time, in addition to the expense).

Chris

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Canon's T70 of the same era - along with many other cameras - had prog modes for wide and tele lenses, but the best mode I can think of of it's type was in the Canon EOS 10 - Canon's first model with multi-point AF, it could use the AF sensors to actually detect camera shake in real time and correct for it.

10. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I was very interested following up your reference to the Canon T70. I remember considering the Canon A-1 and AE-1P, a Nikon (FG I think), and the Minolta X-700, which would have been my choice if the Pentax Super A hadn’t existed. I don’t remember the Canon T70, although I now read it was introduced a couple of months before I eventually bought my SLR. But I might have been wary of the auto-wind using up too much expensive film. The T70’s manually selectable choice of exposure programmes wouldn’t have been all that helpful, as I was planning to use mainly zoom lenses. In the event I was extremely relieved that I had chosen a Pentax, because shortly after that, of the “big five”, Minolta and then Canon changed their mounts to accommodate autofocus, and ceased developing lenses and accessories for the earlier mounts, and Olympus withdrew from SLRs altogether (not for the last time!). Only Pentax and Nikon maintained compatibility.

The Canon EOS 10’s principle of detecting shake and compensating for it presumably by increasing shutter speed and aperture, seems better than any fixed exposure programme. I wonder why it doesn’t feature on current cameras.

Thanks,
    Chris

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Image stabilisers, I think; there's not the same need any more.
    But the EOS 10 could only use central point focusing in camera shake mode, so it was a bit limiting. Lots of odd stuff packed in that camera!

12. Done_rundleCams

Twas, indeed, Nick. I remember a friend of mine (PJ in Vancouver) took an EOS 10 with him on a trip to Arctic (in the summer) because it had a built-in "intervolmater (sp?)" and he wanted to photograph 'sunrises and sunset' amongst other stuff :)

Cheers,

jack