1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Frame frustrations again

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nope. That was the Gamma Duflex.

True, but Topcon had already produced an open-aperture TTL metering system, so that's not much claim to fame.

Wow. That's some claim to fame. ;)

Absolutely not true. SMC coatings were not unique to, or developed by, Pentax. They were one of two fruits of working together with Carl Zeiss when Zeiss were looking for a partner to make Contax cameras. They eventually rejected Pentax as not being experienced enough in electronics, but left them the K bayonet and the SMC coating - which was just a rebranding of their T* coating.

Yeah, think that one's true.

Apart from Minolta...

Possibly true, but left far behind by Nikon and Canon, the latter having been first to all the recent milestones.

Yup. And what did they do with that first? They very quickly lost their lead, and their earliest AF SLRs were absolute dogs.

No. That was Konica. They made the first compact to do so, though.

Talk about clutching at straws!

Quite a nice feature, for sure.

Hmmm....

Well now that's not exactly what happens, is it? There''s a clue in the word "simulator". Good stuff, though.

I think if you look at them overall, yes, they've been behind in almost everything for a long time. That doesn't mean their cameras are no good, and I'm sure their FF effort will be great - but it's staggeringly unlikely to make people with lots of money tied up in lenses change.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 645Z is great, BUT - it's huge. It's lenses are huge. Makes my 67 seem svelte - but remember the sensor is 43.8mm x 32.8mm, still a very long way short of actual 645 format - nearer half it, in reality. So its real competition is really the EOS 5 DS, D810 and so on - which are a lot cheaper and a lot quicker in use.

3. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Not so. The vast majority of my lenses are ff compatible.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You stated that Pentax had a more interesting line-up of lenses for DX sensors, did you not? These lenses and those you own could well be quite different.

I get that you are happy with Pentax, it doesn't mean that anybody else has to be. You chose Pentax, I didn't and am unlikely to do so, I mainly use Sony. There are negatives and positives there, what I am not doing is arguing the case for them against fairly overwhelming evidence.

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Might have to defect back to Nikon...

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Jack

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I love my Pentax cameras. Problem for Pentax is they're mostly very old ones, only my Qs are vaguely current. Spotmatics, K2, MX, 67, Auto 110 are all great, and I loved the Espio and Espio 928 compacts (both now long dead). The current DSLR range doesn't meet my requirements in terms of cameras or lenses, and in fact I actively dislike the handling, the cameras feel wrong in my hands. But we're all different, and many people love the feel of them, and for many people, they have all the lenses they need and all the camera features too. I'm rather lucky in the sense that Canon have always produced exactly the camera I want at the right time, so it's never made sense for me to change. Pentax might have struggled a bit more with that in the past, but I suspect they're getting there, so I really don't think now is a good time for anyone to think about leaving the brand. :)

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

As I said in post No.14

Of course there may be the odd reason two move brands, but for the majority of us mere mortals.. no.

9. Ffolrord

The DA35/2.4 for example is based on the optical formula of a film era lens so it is already full frame ready. Same applies to many other primes.

I would think there are plenty of reasons for Monobod to stick with Pentax. Certainly, no other Pentax users are jumping ship at the moment because there is a lot of faith in what will come. But laissez faire. I don't care in the slightest what camera you use for example.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Or was it the 'medium format' F/f Pentax. My memory is just creaking back to life on that one. If you read the Leica interview, if Pentax leave it any longer for F/f 35mm-stylee DSLR it may be too late.

11. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

I'm not one of those who's overly critical of Leica - I have three, after all - but on two subjects I take anything they say with generous pinch of salt;-

1) the future, or how thing are going to develop. I doubt even Leica's greatest fans could claim they've ever been a company at the cutting edge of change.

2) SLRs. Here's a true story, make of it what you will. I used to drink with a guy who worked at Calumet, or KJP as it was at the time. I once asked him how many Leica rangefinders they shifted, being a professional-orientated store. He told me: none. They didn't stock them, the reson being that Leica would only supply them if they also took the SLRs - which KJP weren't prepared to do, because they couldn't sell them for love or money.

12. Ffolrord

13. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

Move to Nikon if you like. I got K3 and D610. My fav is Leica and Fuji. They all can produce.

14. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

Sorry guys, I have been away for a bit....the curse of work getting in the way. Well, I have read all of your posts and my conclusion is to stick with Pentax, what was I thinking of?

The K-3 is proving to be a fantastic camera and a delight to use too. One thing thing that has surprised me is that the Sigma 17-70 is giving better results at f/8 at least on the K-3 than it ever did on the K-5. Could that just be the higher pixel count? Maybe.

I am considering buying the HD 16-85 zoom. Not FF but the reviews show it to be a good performer with low CA and good edge sharpness. TBH, with this as a replacement for the Sigma, along with my other lenses, I may not need the FF body. The results from the K-3 are really all that is needed for A3 competition prints. The shallow depth of field I long for can be 'faked' by using long lenses for closer subjects.

For the record, these are the lenses I have collected over many years. Some are from the film era, but they do perform well on the K-3.

Sigma 10-20 EX DG F/4-5.6 (APS-C)
    Sigma 17-70 DC F/2.8-4.5 (APS-C)
    Sigma 100-300 EX DG F/4 (FF)
    Sigma 24 F/2.8 (Manual focus FF)
    Pentax 50 FA f/1.7 (FF)
    Pentax 100 F/2.8 Macro (FF)
    Pentax 28-105 F/4-5.6 power zoom (FF)
    Pentax 70-210 F/4 manual focus one touch zoom (FF)

Pentax 55 f/1.8 Super Takumer (FF M42) from the lovely SV film body.

I also have the 1.4x and 2x Sigma TC and two Pentax flashguns.

All in all, a lot of kit to replace if I went elsewhere and not much resale value in what I do have.

I think I mentioned, I am using the 24mm on the K-5 body, without the battery grip as a smallish lighter street camera. Using the lens at f/8 and it is in focus from 1.5m to infinity. Perfect point and shoot.

Autofocus speed is easily adequate for my kind of photography, it has seldom bothered me even with the K10D. I am only a dabbler in wildlife photography. Should the FF body become affordable one day, I have a reasonable lens line up for it too.

As you know, I took advantage of the 'end of line' reductions to buy the Ricoh GXR and now have the 28mm and 50mm modules as well as the M4 Leica Mount module, that I can use with the Novoflex K adapter to take the Pentax lenses. This gives amazing results as the two prime modules are perfectly matched to their 12Mp APS-C sensors. :) Time is my worst enemy........

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

David, if you do decide to go for the 16-85 I'd be interested to know how you get on. I find the Nikkor 16-85 a very useful walk around focal range on my Fuji S3 pro.

I went for the Sigma 17-17 (f/2.8-4 DC Macro version) on my K3, and find the focal range just slightly more restrictive, though at least the K3 has plenty of pixels for cropping at the long end. I think my version of the Sigma isn't quite as sharp as the latest, though I must admit I'm beginning to lose track of them all. I do find its close focus useful sometimes.

On a distantly related matter, Corel Aftershot Pro 2 (descended from the Bibble raw converter / image editor / portfolio manager) seems finally to have been updated to support the K3 (though not yet the K3ii), and is apparently on special offer from Corel for the next few days - though I've noticed these special offers seem to come round every month or two...

16. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Well that certainly does sound like a restrictive focal range!

In all seriousness, I'm enjoying my Pentax 17-70 more the more I use it. Yes it's big, yes it was pricey but in terms of IQ one needs to look at serious magnifications to notice any difference against the even more expensive 16-50.

17. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Doh! :)

I did consider the Pentax 17-70/4 too, but I thought I'd appreciate something a bit brighter at the wide end. In retrospect, I've hardly ever used it wide open.

I have the 16-50/2.8 DA* as well, which to be honest I was slightly disappointed in for the price, though that was at least in part down to issues with the AF motor, which I believe have now been resolved. I did find that I sometimes wanted a little more at the long end though.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

19. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Time will tell and, as I mentioned to a Pentax customer in the shop, when
    we get our first one, for stock, I might be convinced it's real :) Teaser photos
    et al, just doesn't cut it for me :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Totally agree. Considering it's supposed to arrive in the spring, I think more details should have emerged by now. A teaser photograph without a hint of specification is saying to me it's far off ready.

Without simplifying it too much, it is only a camera.... :confused: :confused: :confused: