1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujifilm X20 versus XA1

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Adamski99, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Adamski99

Adamski99 New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice from those wiser than myself regarding two Fuji options. I'm a DLSR user and lean more towards landscape and urban photography than anything else. I mostly take photos when hill walking, mountain biking or travelling but find I'm doing far less of this due to the bulk of the camera (a DSLR with case doesn't go well in a camelback).

So I'm looking for a second camera and am thinking of the X20 or XA1. I'm slightly conflicted here. I'm attracted to the size and build quality of the x20 but am nervous about image quality with the smaller sensor. The XA1 might overcome this but looks larger and less robust. I would be looking to ditch the kit lens due to size with a view to taking advantage of the Fuji offer on a free 27mm lens. Whilst this would be fine for portability I'm not sure how suitable this would be for my needs.

http://free-xa1-lens.co.uk/

Grateful for any advice on the relative pros and cons of these options from an outdoor pursuits perspective.

Thanks,

Adam

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

To my mind they are very different animals.
    The X20 can be thought of as the top end of the non interchangeable smaller non APS sensor compacts.
    It has a good (enough) optical viewfinder with displayed shooting information and produces excellent results, with controls more reminiscent of a Dslr.

The Xa1 is the economy version of the Aps X range with no viewfinder only a back screen. But it does accept interchangeable lenses.
    It is nowhere near as easy to handle. But it is relatively cheap for its cut down spec.

I went for the X20 and have not regretted it.
    However it depends entirely on what you are looking for in a camera.

The Fuji XE2 is a different kettle of fish and ticks many more boxes.

3. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

Another option would be an XQ1 or an XF1. These have the same sensors as the X20 and the X10 respectively I think but are smaller.

The 2/3 sensors are small but have twice the area of a point and shoot 1/2.3. To my mind, the main drawbacks compared to a C size dslr are poorer low light / high iso performance, a lower dynamic range and a large depth of field.

My travel cameras are a Fuji X-S1 and the XF1. They are not perfect but my dslr and lenses can be too heavy at times.

4. Phoebe May

Phoebe May Member

Recently bought an X20 because I was not taking my Nikon DSLR out enough (weight, bulk etc). The X20 is fantastic - you don't know you are carrying it but it does almost everything the DSLR does at a really good quality. You can even feel a bit like you are using a film rangefinder camera without the bulk, cost and inconvenience of a Leica M5!

Maybe that's a bit over the top but I really am both delighted and amazed at what this little gem can do.

Try Fuji for a refurbished one.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I like myX20 but one thing that really irritates me is that I have to take the thing from my eye to change the AF area.
    The AF area lights up in the viewfinder when you take 'first pressure' but not when you are changing it. This is a firm wear issue and should have been fixed. I guess Fuji won't do anything about it until the X30. Fuji is not really any different to Nikon or Canon. Once they have made a sale then they don't care a damn.

6. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

There were some well-documented issues with the X10, which Fuji fixed with a comprehensive firmware release even as the X20 was being released, so you could well have guessed wrong.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah; might be fair comment about Nikon, but both Fuji and Canon are actually rather good at updating firmware at various stages of product life.

8. Adamski99

Adamski99 New Member

Many thanks for all the helpful advice and comments. I'm quite minded at this stage to go for the X20 as a backup option, accepting some of the limitations that go along with this. I'll see how it goes.

:)