1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujifilm X-M1 for Northern Lights advice please!

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by WBROOKSSURREY, Feb 8, 2015.

1. WBROOKSSURREY

WBROOKSSURREY New Member

Hi, I am going to Tromso, Norway, in a week's time.
    I have a Fujifilm X-M1, with a 16-50 lens and a 50-230 lens.

I am hoping to take photos in snowy conditions and of course, if we're lucky, of the Northern Lights!

I would welcome some basic advice, please. I have read that the lens hoods are good for use when photographing Northern lights, also suggestions to use RAW rather than JPEG, but I don't really understand the implications of the later.

Any help with settings etc. much appreciated!

Thanks, Wendy

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

3. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Apart from the camera the single most important item to take would be a tripod.

I own an X-M1 and it's small camera body contains a superb sensor that will allow you to set the ISO to 1600 and achieve good results comfortably. You would use the 18-50 lens at the '18' end mostly to 'get more in'.

My recommendation for N.Lights (I've never seen them!):

RAW, ISO 800, M (manual dial - on top of camera), lens set to f3.5. You will have to experiment with exposures of 10 seconds or so, try one at 10 seconds and then adjust from there. Whatever you do, the shutter speed will be far too slow to hand hold. The camera must be mounted on a tripod. A small travel one will suffice. If you set the self timer to 2s (via menu) you will also avoid the camera moving when pressing the shutter button.

In the menu, set Long exposure noise reduction 'ON' and on the lens switch the OIS 'OFF' (if on a tripod).

The hood would make very little or no difference I wouldn't think.

If you follow the above you should be ok and can iron out any problems on the computer more easily having recorded RAW files (that's what I do anyway!).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

As mentioned, a tripod is a must. Should you have a UV filter on the lens remove it before you shoot. We were on the Hurtigruten last March - we saw the very briefest glimpse of the A.B., so hope you get lucky. Enjoy yourself.