1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujifilm Finepix S9600

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Pwallwin, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Pwallwin

Pwallwin New Member

Hi!

Why is there no current discussions on this camera?? I thought it would be quite a hot topic.

I'm stuck as to whether to buy the S9600 or the S6500fd.

I've heard some owners of the S9600 complain about the lack of image stabilisation - but I thought it had this feature!?

Also - I've heard that the S9600 is not able to connect via USB cable to a 64bit or AMD PC (which is what mine is)

Thanks guys,

Paul

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The S9600 doesn't have image stabilisation, but it does have a fairly high maximum ISO sensitivity of 1600, which can enable faster shutter speeds in low light situations. This can be more useful if your subject is moving. However, according to the test in AP a few months ago, the noise reduction at high ISO can lead to loss of detail. You can get a copy of the full test report for 3 quid via the Equipment Tests link at the top of this page.

The main difference of the S6500fd is that it has a 6MP sensor, with maximum sensitivity of ISO3200. Noise reduction appears slightly less agressive, judging by some other online reviews.

If you particularly want big prints, or a lot of margin for cropping, go for the S9600. If you particularly want to take pictures in low light, go for the S6500fd.

I have no problems using USB to connect my slightly older S9500 with an AMD64 CPU (running SuSE Linux 10.3).

3. Pwallwin

Pwallwin New Member

Thanks Alex.

I thought it was a bit strange when I heard there were no drivers for a AMD 64 bit...

I'll give them a ring sometime this week and confirm that.

Any other questions/opinions on the Fuji S9600 please go ahead!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Paul

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Though noise is reported to be pretty intrusive at ISO 1600 and above.

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

If you are wanting to connect the camera to the pc for downloading pictures, why not just get an external card reader (or ionvest in cdrw with a built in reader www.ebuyer.co.uk item number 82877 cost of £10.57) and do it that way, this is what I don and it saves on the batteries in the camera, unless of course you are running the camera with a mains adpator