1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Fuji XPro1 - lens recommendations

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Bazarchie, Dec 7, 2017.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm not sure without reading the manual. The ELV only models can simulate the exposure so it is obvious if there is gross overexposure. I have not used an X-Pro model but I think you can superpose the electronic view on top of the optical view. If so you can see if it works by turning the exposure compensation up or down and seeing the viewfinder image respond.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The "hybrid" viewfinder is switchable between electronic and optical, there is no halfway house. In optical mode it is something like using a film rangefinder camera, in electronic it is similar to well, an EVF, as that is what it is.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Early days with the 18-55 but I also need a lens with better low light performance. Is the 35 f2 good enough for indoor portraits? Do you ever use a flash, if so which one?

4. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with the 35/2, but the 35/1.4 is superb (though I think you'd be just as happy with the 35/2 as it is smaller and faster focusing - you just don't get 1.4 with it).

I would recommend the Godox flash range, as it now offers Fuji TTL for a good price (70 quid for the smaller 350 model, or 100 for a 685) and has very good wireless capabilities if you choose to go off camera. However I am using an X-T1 which has slightly upgraded flash capabilities compared to the X-Pro1, so you should check how the flash would work with your X-Pro1. Flash has always been a weak area for the Fuji X Series, which they only really addressed late last year (and have retro-fitted to the firmware in some older cameras).

Bazarchie likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That last comment reminds me. If getting a new lens check the the Firmware version for lens compatibility. Fuji issue a lot of updates, separately, for both camera and lenses. Some of the lens updates are conditional upon the camera firmware version and it is worth checking that, with a combination of a second hand body + newer lens, the firmware are compatible.

I don't know what other people's experience has been generally. I was one of a small number of people who found the X-E2 update direct from the earliest version to 4 (jumping several stages) disabled the USB port. My camera had to go back to Fuji to re-enable it. Version 4 was a complete rewrite and basically produced a "new" camera, functionally equivalent to an X-E2s and needing a new user manual. Since that experience I have not touched updates which means I probably don't have optimum AF or lens corrections any more. I haven't heard of any issues for the X-Pro1 but I haven't looked either.

Bazarchie likes this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No idea about that, never do portraits indoors. Tend not to use flash, either. Sorry.

The lens itself is excellent, though. Remember it doesn't have stabilisation built in, unlike the 18-55. The 18-55 has a largest aperture of 3.5 at 35mm, but the stabilisation is very good and probably more than makes up for the difference.

S

Bazarchie and peterba like this.
  7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If you prefer something a bit longer for such work there is the rather excellent 50mm f2.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

A very good point, Pete. I hadn't realised that an update was issued on 5th October 2017 for this lens, so I'll be updating mine shortly. It looks like a relatively minor update - a 'rare' focal length display bug fix.

Here's the link to the lens firmware update list. (<Page Down> for the 18-55mm)

9. peterba

Yes - also a good point! I suspect that the 18-55mm (at 35mm) with stabilisation would match the 35mm f/2. The exception, of course, would be if one is chasing bokeh. ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. steveandthedogs

Hmm. According to the website, the latest is 3.22, but on mine it only updates to 3.21.
    Any ideas anyone?

S

11. Bazarchie

I was surprised at the number of firmware updates. I jumped 4 or 5 versions for the body, I haven't tried the lens yet.

12. peterba

Steve, did you download the 3.21 at an earlier date? If so, you would have needed to hit <CTRL + f5> in order to refresh the page in the Fuji website, otherwise your computer won't see the download as a newer file, and therefore won't download it. o_O Don't ask me to explain this - it seems barmy to me - but you can read about it on their download page. I've never encountered this problem, but have seen others write about encountering it.

Anyway, it might be worth checking in your download folder to see whether an earlier file exists.

13. steveandthedogs

Will try that. Ta.

S

14. steveandthedogs

Brilliant.
    Even more Ta.

S

peterba likes this.
  15. peterba

That was the problem, then ?

16. steveandthedogs

If at first it doesn't work, read the instructions... I keep telling myself that, but never do.

Yes, it worked perfectly, now up to date.

S

peterba likes this.
  17. Bazarchie

After some more use of the camera and the 18-55 I have to say I am impressed. Handheld I can get good results at very low speeds with ISO's up to 1600.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have had good results at 3200iso, so there!:p

peterba likes this.
  19. Bazarchie

Well done sir! My hands are not as steady as they used to be so the IS system and the relatively light weight must help. 1600 or 3200 is still impressive.

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I feel these cameras really punch above their weight, on occasions I have used them where I would normally use a full-frame DSLR and have been pleasantly surprised. Their real Achilles heel is the flash system, for daylight, even when there is little of it, they are great.