1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Fuji XPro1 - lens recommendations

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Bazarchie, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have just bought used Fuji XPro1 and now need a lens. It will not be my main camera and will be used when I want to travel light and for people photos, indoor and outdoor.

I do not want to spend much but I am not sure about the XC range. Tempted by the
    Fujifilm 18-55mm f2.8-4 R LM OIS XF Fujinon

any reason not to or recommendations of better lenses?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is the standard zoom. I find it works for me. Being used to a 24-105 (on full frame) I miss the extra at each end. It is a shame they didn't do a 16-70 but the emphasis seems to be on primes.

Bazarchie likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Excellent lens, fits in with the concept of the camera nicely. Sharp and compact, you will not be disappointed. I have some primes for mine, but I usually leave them at home, unless I think I will need them, in fact I sold my 18mm f2. This lens is several cuts above DSLR kit lenses. Also it is within the range of the OVF, which only runs to 60mm.

Bazarchie likes this.
  4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There is the 16-55, which is good, but also heavy and much bulkier than the 18-55, along with a much higher price tag. The 18-55 complements the cameras better imho.

Bazarchie likes this.
  5. PeteRob

Yes. But it stops at 55. Its funny (peculiar) that the 55-200 always seens too long at 55 whereas I get along nicely with a 70-200 on full frame. I find myself lens swapping the 18-55 and 55-200 more than I lens swap on my Canon.

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

None! As an all-rounder, the 18-55mm XF is superb. It encompasses the 'holy trinity' (if that's your thing) of 28/50/85mm (effective), and it does so, very well indeed. It's difficult to find anything bad to say about this lens. Any zoom lens has to be at least something of a compromise, but this is as close to being 'the exception to the rule' as it gets, IMHO.

Regarding alternatives, it depends upon your requirements, of course - however, I understand that the 35mm f/1.4 is a first-class lens, although I've never used one.

The 27mm pancake is excellent, and is very small and light. I borrowed one, once, for a few hours, to use on the x-E1 - very nice indeed.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Bazarchie likes this.
  7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with any of that. The 35mm f1.4 is excellent, I must admit to only taking mine out when I think I will need it, I got lucky and paid a bargain price for mine, the 35mm f2 is just as good. The 18-55 is so good I don't feel the lack of the primes most of the time. The 27mm is great too, I bought an X-Pro1 kit with a case, the 18mm f2 and the 27mm. I added a used X-E1 as a spare body, then ended up using that rather than the X-Pro1, I just like it better. The X-Pro1 I originally chose as it was as close as I could get to my sold Contax G1. I still have the X-Pro1 with only a few hundred actuations on it, but sold the 18mm f2 in favour of a Samyang 16mm.

Bazarchie likes this.
  8. Bazarchie

I gather these kits were very good value. The used prices for the lenses suggest they hold their value, but the bodies depreciate a lot. I'm not sure this applies to all bodies, they do seem to regularly update the models. Not that I'm complaining given the price I paid.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I've got the 18-55 and the 35 f2.

The 18-55 has the zoom, the 35 has the speed and is also a fair bit smaller and lighter.

Both take better pics than I deserve.

S

Bazarchie and peterba like this.
  10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's rare that I buy brand-new kit, but this worked out better than used. The 18mm lens I sold fetched a good price to a happy Ebay buyer. The bodies represent a very good buy in the used market, the 16mp ones are imho not noticeably inferior to the new 24mp variants for normal use. I can get a good A3 print from the X-E1 at 1600 iso, so I am not complaining.

peterba likes this.
  11. peterba

Yes... I'm sad to say that every item of photographic equipment I own takes better photos than I deserve. :( What makes this even worse is that I own at least three broken cameras... :eek:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. Bazarchie

I wish I had the talent to be able to see a decent shot, but I don't. Possibly getting better or possibly wishful thinking. I do however enjoy taking photos and if I get some I like so much the better.

After all the positive comments on the Fuji X series I am really looking forward to taking some shots when the lens arrives.

peterba likes this.
  13. peterba

I think that most of us can identify with this. :)

Which lens did you decide upon?

Bazarchie likes this.
  14. Bazarchie

I bought a used
    Fujifilm 18-55mm f2.8-4 R LM OIS XF
    Nothing but good reviews and the focal length range and speed should suit me fine. The last camera I used that wasn't a DSLR was a Fujifilm Finepix 6800.

peterba likes this.
  15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You'll enjoy it.

S

peterba likes this.
  16. peterba

Honestly, I'll be amazed if you're not satisfied with this lens. If you really aren't, then I'd say that you've either got unrealistically high expectations from a mid-range zoom, or you've managed to find a dud sample...! ;):D

Let us know how it goes.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. Bazarchie

Lens arrived today, first impressions very good. I need to get used to the Fuji as it is different to my DSCLs.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  18. peterba

Always good when first impressions are favourable. :) I think you'll find the results favourable, too.

I'm probably being a little dim, here - what's a DSCL? :confused:

19. PeteRob

it is a typing error

20. Bazarchie

Thanks Pete, it is indeed a typo. I am slightly dyslexic and rely on spellcheckers to pick up most errors, however I'm not sure there is one available when using this forum on an iPad.

Is there a Fuji equivalent of Canon's safety shift on the X series? All I can find is auto iso which allows you to set various parameters.