1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji X100s versus Xe2

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Adamski99, May 27, 2014.

1. Adamski99

Adamski99 New Member

Hi Folks,

I need some advice regarding fuji options. I'm looking for a high quality camera to chuck in my camelback/rucksack when out in the hills. I find I'm not carrying my Nikon 3100 DSLR much these days as it's too bulky. I mainly take nature/landscape shots. I was initially drawn to the X100s due to the compact size and the 35mm equivalent lens. However, Fuji currently have a free lens offer going on the XE2 which has confused my thinking. I'm considering whether this would double up as both my compact camera when fitted with the small 27mm (41) lens and both my main unit when I invest in further lenses. I'm also aware though that this may create more problems than it solves and I may end up having to carry more lenses as amongst the smaller lenses 41 might be too short and 27 too wide. The 23 (35) for the x series is quite chunky so not a compact option. So I guess the questions is DLSR plus x100s or XE2 for everything?

Thanks

2. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

People buy the X100s if they like the optical window finder and the 35 mm effective FOV. The first of the new Fuji cameras I got was the X100 and I discovered that I was not really enthusiastic about either so bypassed the X-Pro1 for the X-E1 and now have an X-E2 to go with it. I prefer a FOV of about 40 mm for walkabout stuff and so the 27 mm suits well and the combination fits easily into a jacket pocket. The EVF on the X-E2 is superior to that on the X-E1 and there is apparently a firmware upgrade coming shortly to improve the EVF to X-T1 standard. For me the X-E2 completely replaces a dSLR.

3. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

Not to try and sway your decision, but Fuji had recently announced a tele-conversion kit for their X100 and X100S fixed-lens cameras, effectively giving the owner two focal lengths to work with: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n140416_02.html

If I hadn't got such a good deal on the X-E1, then it would have been the X100S. But the X-E1 is an excellent camera with the finest out-of-camera images I coud ask for. The X-E2 is the same, except faster processor and with an apparently better EVF.
    As for image quality, the X-Pro1, X-E1, X-E2, and X100S are all in a dead heat (they all use Fujifilm's APS-C X-Trans sensor). I must admit that I'm still in love with the X100S for its styling (image quality being spoken for) and its hybrid viewfinder.