1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji X100/X100S...

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Hellequin, May 31, 2013.

1. Hellequin

Hellequin Well-Known Member

Well, I went to a camera shop the other week with a view to getting hands on and probably buying a new Fuji X20, but was ulitmately 'seduced' by an X100 they also had on display in the cabinet.

It's the first time I've picked up an X100 and whilst I've a sneaky feeling heart is ruling head, it just felt utterly perfect to me; it has controls I love, it looks superb and as is now well documented it takes bloody good pictures too and I freely admit I found myself in one of those 'I've got to have one of these' moments! Now comes my 'dilemma'...

The shop is selling the remaining stock of X100's (pretty quickly I imagine) at £550 and I was very tempted to buy there and then but I held off to read up on the new X100S. If reviews are to be believed Fuji do seem to have addressed some of the 'issues' that the X100 seemed to have whilst keeping all the good bits, however the price difference for a new 'S' would mean some extra saving and a wait of at least a couple more months.

Given that looks and handling are similar, is the X100S worth waiting and saving for and, more importantly, is it really £450 better than its older (but still brand new from the shop) sister?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your opinions... :D

2. Tommy Blake Images

Tommy Blake Images Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has had both and the x100s is a totally different camera superior in every way. Check out his website for more info.

www.flixelpix.com

3. Hellequin

Thank you Tommy, some good reading there. I think the S may well be worth saving for then...

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

The X100 is a beautfiful camera. I coveted it ever since I first held one at Focus a year or so ago. It is however flawed. The X100s seems to have addressed many of those flaws without compromising the things that made the X100 special. If all other things were equal I would have no hesitation in recommending the X100s over the X100.

However, things are not equal as since the launch of the X100, Fuji have also launched the X-Pro1 and the X-E1 which both offer many of the advantages of the X100s but with the flexibility of an interchangeable lens system. What the X100s has over the other two models is, IIRC, much faster auto-fcousing capability.

Having seen all three cameras together at Focus this year, my conclusion was that they were all beautiful cameras capable of capturing fantastic images, but there was an even better camera to had from incorporating the AF system from the X100s into an interchangeable lens body.

5. Hellequin

I can't argue with what you say about flexibility of interchangeable lenses Barney. That said, one of the things I love about the X100/100S is that they have a viewfinder and iirc the X-Pro1/X-E1 don't?

Added to that in my own case is that I already have a DSLR with which to build a system of lenses, so for me the X100 would be more of an option to carry almost anywhere and just enjoy taking pictures in a 'simpler' form, without carrying a shed load of kit.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Both have viewfinders: the X-Pro 1 a hybrid one similar to the X100, the X-E1 an electronic one.

Yeah, the X-Pro 1 is a bit bulky for that.

7. Hellequin

That'll teach me... Must read up on the kit I'm talking about before writing the reply! ☺