1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji X-S1 bridge camera - problems?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Prints Charles, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Does anybody have a brand new Fujifilm X-S1 camera and if so have you experienced problems with it of any kind? I am considering buying one, but have heard on various forums about lens droop and orbing as major problems. Fuji have not responded to 8 emails I sent them over the past 3 weeks asking if the very latest build has had these problems fixed. I also asked if all known problems are now fixed and at what serial number does 'fixed' latest camera start. Their lack of response makes me doubtful about the camera being 'fit for purpose'. Any user experiences of brand new X-S1 cameras will be gratefully received.
    Thanks . . . and a Happy Healthy New Year to all.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Not a owner of that model but I have the previous version a s100fs. That works great and got some good stuff with it.

The orbs thing sadly is a real issue. But Fuji have corrected the sensor and firmware. Because the X10 uses the same sensor.

It is is easy to test for, just shoot any night scene with street lights. If the light enlarge too much then it still has the fault.

Any new product you buy is protected by UK consumer law for one year against defect.

If you buy online you have a test time of 7 days from delivery.

You could look at the smaller brother of the HS30EXR.

Some Jessops have the X-S1 on display for a play with.

This might help :)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/fujifilm-x-s1-the-first-100-days.html

3. P_Stoddart

4. Thanks for this, but the fact Fuji refuse to confirm whether these problems, and latest model info re problems, has been sorted makes me doubtful that they have fixed it. I will continue for this week trying to get more info from Forums and from Fuji. May copy next email to them to the office of Fair Trading, as I can't see it's fair trading to sell something that is known to be faulty.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What I would say is if you're that concerned, buy something else and forget about Fuji - I suspect that whatever happens now, you would never be happy with one of their products.

6. P_Stoddart

Not sure it would be Fuji at fault. Surely the retailer. Fuji would have probably told retailers to send their stock back for upgrade.

But as Benchista says there are plenty of other products out there, one I have suggested.

Also the HS30EXR might be another solution for you.

Every makers runs into first production problems even the mighty Nikon have had some troubles with oil problems on sensors. Canon had some problems with light leaks.

Good makers will fix this fast because they value their PR image.

The link I sent you indicated that the zoom issue is common on other designs.

The Lumix FZ200 is suppose to be a good performer but it uses a power zoom not manual.

7. You could be right . . . the fact Fuji refuse to reply to my questions is a real concern and most likely an admission of guilt! Thanks.

8. P_Stoddart

Er, that is abit of a leap there.

If a police officer ask me a question and I don't answer hardly makes me guilty. :)

Could be they are getting back to customer/technical enquiries next week.

9. It's taken them nearly 3 weeks to do so, but just had a reply " only some of the X-S1 cameras suffer from these problems, you may not get one with the problems" !!! So not a bit of a leap after all, that's an admission the problem still exists, but they don't say (or poss don't know?) which model serial numbers are affected?! If asked a question and you get more than a reasonable time to answer, and you don't answer, then the questioner has the right to assume you are not answering for a negative reason. Case in point proven.

10. P_Stoddart

Well er again no. You might not answer because you (or company) are busy or short staffed leading up to Xmas.

They did not deny the problems because they have been well reported, so that would be quite silly. :)

However I am somewhat surprised they have not noted when the sensor production switched to the new version. It would make sense to track it for warranty reasons.

So if you feel unhappy with Fujifilm as a supplier of product, then look at another makers offering.

I would however point out that Fujifilm is the only maker of manual zoom bridge cameras in the market place at this time.

I also know of two other members on here who have produced great stuff from similar designed cameras. The same as me s100fs and the s200exr. The s200exr even got a AP cover once via the photographer Jack Hood.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it is a random error they cannot answer. As far as I can tell from mails posted here it happens under some special circumstances and with some bodies only. If you really want one then buy it from a shop ( much easier to have a face to face discussion) where you can test it.

12. Yes it was the manual zoom I wanted, I have an S9600 and an old S5000 both of which (in their time) I was happy with. I went into WEX and they would only let me see a 'used X-S1' and not a new one. The used one had serious lens droop (and I think if a senior staff member instead of a part-time staff member had served me - they wouldn't have shown me the faulty one!?) that showed how bad the problem can be. The staff member 'thinks' it was one a customer returned for a refund? I don't want to mess about like that, and WEX couldn't say if their stock models are older faulty production or not???(strange). I guess if they have a load of them they want to sell them and worry about customer reaction once the money is in the bank? Ah well we live and learn.

13. Yes I did that, WEX would only show me a 'bargain basement model' (the Saturday staff member said they thought it was a refund return) it had lens droop, and they wouldn't show me a new stock model. They didn't know if their stock models were pre or post fault rectification models??? strange as I would have thought(hoped) Fuji would know and tell retailers? I therefore deduce there are still a lot of faulty models in retail stock so Fuji and retailers don't want to give clear message of after which serial numbers the problem is cured. They want consumers to be the fault finders then send in for repair or whatever. Consumers shouldn't have to buy a camera 'in the hope it isn't faulty', then send it in for repair(in which case £420 is about 25% too high a price to pay for it in the first place). I'm checking out the legality of selling items that are known to suffer faults in some production models and therefore will not be fit for purpose, with OFT & Consumer Direct. I believe it is the manufacturers liability/responsibility to recall models pre a defined serial number from when they know problems are resolved. I wonder if these problem models are more Chinese built junk? Ah well we live and learn.