1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji X Q button solution?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Terrywoodenpic, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have found a solution that solves the Q Button problem for me.
    I have made the equivalent of a "Tooth Crown" out of "Polymorph" This is a very close fit and is held in position with two fine strips of double sided tape.
    Though in use it has no tendency to move.
    Polymorph comes in small pellets that melt in hot water, and can be molded to shape with the fingers. when cool it is extremely strong and hard.
    Though it take a fine impression, it is difficult to make smooth on the outside.

To finish it I had to remove it before it fully hardened and cut the centre hole for access to the Q button.

It is impossible to trigger it accidentally and requires a full frontal press to bring the menu up.
    The pad of the finger or thumb is sufficient to trigger the very sensitive button.
    as the button is now 1/2 mm below the surface it can not be pressed accidentally.

I have set it at a slight angle so as to be able to find and press the AFL button very easily.

Poly morph is available in black ... but I only had white.... so that is what I used. Q-thumb-web.jpg

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

interesting solution, unfortunately I don't think it would solve my D4 live view button problem. Essentially the same issue, the button is easily pressed by accident, but being in the middle of another control with restricted space I don't think there is room. Shame as it looks useful stuff.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Is this issue only for some Fuji X models? I do not have a problem with my XT2 or the Xpro 1.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

.. or XH-1. Can't for the life of me see why it is needed in the first place.

5. Terrywoodenpic

It is only a problem on models where the Q button is on the thumb rest.
    If you do not find the Q button useful you have probably not set it up to adjust your most used functions.
    If you like me use raw few of the settings as delivered are useful.

But now that I have set it up to my needs the Q button and "my menu" are my most used buttons/functions.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Whilst there may not be a problem with every Fuji camera it is a fact that a number of camera models have controls that are easily activated by unintended cations by the user. Pressure from clothing for example. The Nikon D4's Live view button can be activated in this way and the D5 arrangement is similar; putting the camera in Live view drains the battery unacceptably quickly. Current digital cameras have many controls on the back and a good number of them can wake the camera, where these controls are recessed they probably aren't a problem but others most certainly are.

I know that some compact cameras have exposure compensation controls that fall directly under the thumb and are readily operated, I have seen the results. Roger expressed his annoyance that the focus point on his Df would change while he was carrying it. I am sure there are other examples. Camera controls being actuated inadvertently can hardly be considered life threatening but manufacturers could do more to site buttons where they can't be pressed accidentally.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Of mine the Panny G3 is the all time champion. It's rather small and as a result almost impossible to hold without the thumb accidentally operating one of the buttons. It's predecessor the G2 has a very similar button layout but the camera is somewhat larger and accidental presses are less frequent though not unknown...:rolleyes:

8. Terrywoodenpic

on the X T3 it is hidden away close to the screen and all the buttons are far less vulnerable.
    on the X T30 it stick out like a sore thumb, and even a feather side swipe sets it off.

9. BOB-R

BOB-R Member

I think the Polymorph solution looks a real mess, and certainly does nothing for the future value of the camera which looks like an XT-2 . I owned one of those and mostly managed not to let it get in the way.
    As a matter of interest, I believe the Fuji X100-F has a feature whereby if you press and hold the menu”OK” button for a couple of seconds, you lock all the various buttons until you reverse the procedure. Not ideal I agree, but this is the price some of us have to pay if we want small cameras with all the bells and whistles.