1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji X-E1

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by beatnik69, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I'm going to Malta with my wife in March but didn't fancy lugging the Nikon D7000 around with me (could have taken the D40 but the functions are a bit basic) and I find the autofocus on the Coolpix P7100 to be a bit slow, so I ordered a second-hand Fuji X-E1 and 16-50mm lens. I'll report back when it arrives.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Brilliant little camera, the 16-50 lens is nowhere near as good as the 18-55 though. I love my X-E1 and though I have a more recent higher resolution body I am totally unable to part with it. The Velvia film simulation setting is very nice and I reckon the IQ is as good or better than my Nikon D610. An excellent choice.

One caveat though, they absolutely munch batteries, so take at least one spare (and the charger) with you. I have a number of spares now, the OE ones are pricey but I have found Duracell and Baxxtar (the red ones sold on Amazon) are both reasonably good.

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The XH-1 uses the same physical size battery as the XE-2 (assume this is the same as XE-1), and the same charger, but has a higher rating. If I put an XE-2 battery in the XH-1 it warns that it will run out of power very quickly. So might be worth looking for a NP‑W126S or compatible battery - if indeed the XE-1 takes a NP‑W126. I haven't tried myself as I've hardly used my XE-2 since I bought the XH-1.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They all use the same size battery. I have a camera that comes with the S version battery and TBH find little obvious difference in the charge life. I do have a Maxsima battery that came as a second battery with the X-E1, that does last less time.

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Also consider Ex-Pro batteries, I find them as good as the originals.

6. beatnik69

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, the 18-55 is at least £150 more expensive than the 16-50, even used, so was out of the equation.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The 18-55 may become more available when the new 16-80 price drops but I'd imagine there are plenty about. When buying lenses check they work. I forget if it is the 23 or 27 mm but I found my XE-2 had great difficulty focussing with it

8. beatnik69

Sarah. Camera was delivered today, but I was out. They are going to try again tomorrow... when I'll be out again. Hopefully my wife will still be in at that point.

9. beatnik69

It's been delivered and left with the neighbours. Excited!

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's nice, they'll want to keep it;).

11. beatnik69

Thankfully it was in a large unbranded box. It feels nice to use. I haven't really had much of a chance to shoot properly with it yet, but hopefully will get the chance at the weekend.