1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji S6500fd 64-bit Compatibility

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by goody95, Apr 11, 2007.

1. goody95

goody95 New Member

I'm considering buying Fuji's S6500fd. Does anyone have experience of using it with a computer running 64-bit Windows XP? Is it able to connect as a generic mass storage device?

The guy at Fuji said that it's not compatible when I rang, but I'm thinking this might just be for Fuji's own interface software - does anyone know what actually happens when you plug its USB cable into a computer running the 64-bit version of XP?

The compatibility table on Fuji's website (http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/compatibility/index.php?os=&model=s) suggests that it connects using 'PTP' (picture transfer protocol) rather than as a mass storage device. I tried downloading and installing Fuji's PTP drivers for the camera (32-bit, no 64 on offer), and they seemed to install okay, but I guess this doesn't necessarily mean they'll work if I get the camera, since they're made for 32-bit.

Any advice would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance.

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

You could always get a plug in USB XD card reader for around 10 quid.

3. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I find that the use of an external card reader is the best bet, it saves on the `compatibility` issue.

no need to install drivers that you dont really need.This way if you change from a 32 bit to 64 bit system then you have no worries.Also, you will benefit from faster transfer speeds,not running down your cameras batteries or having to buy a mains adpator to save the batteries.

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Calling Fuji S6500fd owners

Does the Fuji connect as a mass storage device under 32-bit XP?

If so, then I don't see why it can't connect in the same way under 64-bit. After, XP has the drivers to make the USB port work under 64-bit and all you are doing is plugging in a USB device. However, I can't tell you if this is the way Fuji intend the camera to work. Ideally, you want somebody to confirm that the camera can act as a MSD under 32-bit Windows without the need to install any additional drivers. I don't have one myself so can't help further.

If you don't get much response here, I'll shift this post to the Help Team forum.