1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji S5500 Colour Cast Issue

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Motorbikeman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Motorbikeman

Motorbikeman New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to these forums and looking for some advice so apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have a Fuji S5500 (I know, I should something better but it's what I have and funds wont allow for anything else at the moment :D ) and I wanted to ask about a colour cast I've been getting on outdoor images.

As the weather has been getting better, I've been spending a lot of time down at the quay at Poole Harbour and even with the light setting set to either auto or sunlight (The other settings are even worse and just don't even bear thinking about!!) I've been getting a distinct blue cast to the images. This seems to be worse when shooting out over the water. I have used the camera outdoors before, but never really noticed the cast before. (Admittedly this could be because the colour range of previous images didn't include things like sparkling white Sunseeker yachts)

I guess my question is, is this a known issue, am I missing something stupid on the settings or could there be something wrong with my camera? I can correct the cast easily enough by reducing the blue and increasing the red by equal amounts, but when you consider I took over 200 shots on a recent all day boat trip this can start to be a tad tedious.

Any help will be gratefully received :D

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

What time of day are you shooting at? During the midday hours, say 10am to 2pm currently, the colour temperature of the light is very blue and this may be more than the AWB or even daylight setting can compensate for. Water also tends to reflect the blue light more and if the sky is blue this can make the problem worse. If your camera has the facility to manual set the colour temperature directly (usually via the menu) try setting to 6500K or thereabouts. If that's not possible another handy trick is to set the white balance to 'cloudy' or 'shade' (situations where the light tends to be naturally blueish) and this should warm up the scene. Failing that get a warm up filter for the lens. Something like an 81B or maybe C should suffice. NB if you use a filter set the white balance to daylight - auto will try to compensate for the filter... not what you want at all!

HTH

3. Motorbikeman

Motorbikeman New Member

Good point on the time of day, I am generally shooting around early through to late afternoon at the moment, I should have thought of that :) I did try settings for overcast but it didn't make an awful lot of difference, I didn't look for a manual setting however. There is a custom WB facility on the S5500, I've never used it before so I'll give it a try next time I'm out :)

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Don't forget that if you are shooting over water there will be the blue haze caused by water vapour as, indeed, there will be in the kind of humid hazy days we've been having this past couple of weeks. A proper UV filter can help with this to some extent (as will the 81 series filters) but it's often difficult to eliminate completely. In this case the colour cast is not really an issue with white balance but an unfortunately all-to-accurate recording of a atmospheric phenomenon......