1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji S3 Pro

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Clive, Jan 19, 2005.

1. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Strange you should say that..

It has long been one of the more fascinating aspects of photography for me that we are prepared to spend buckets full on capture but not at the post capture stage. A damn good scanner would perhaps be the way forward initially. Now you have the Nikon and I use the Minolta both top drawer for 35mm but perhaps an investment in an Imacon for medium format may solve your problems.

My new job? - Stunt double for Shrek/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

2. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Re: Sir Huw Evans?

I take it you're from Stourport on Severn then, or somewhere close by.
    Kidderminster myself.
    You're not the 'fatty Evans' that used to duff me up at school are you?

Graham NRIPN

3. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Kidderminster? You're not Pansy Wilkins from the lower fourth who used to dream of being a transvestite lumberjack are you?

Clive

justmono2005

4. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Oh God you've remembered....
    Not Rowley the rotter, surely?

Graham NRIPN

5. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yup - brought up in Stourport from the age of two, so I think of it as my home town. My mother still lives there, which is how come I was there over New Year.

You're not the 'fatty Evans' that used to duff me up at school are you?

Err, sorry about that - nothing personal. you understand :) Seriously, I don't think so! :)

Well, well, well, a Kiddie man on the forums and I never knew! Small world. Good on you mate. :)

Huw Evans.

6. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Born there and lived there for 20 years before moving to Manchester

Graham NRIPN

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Re: Strange you should say that..

Let's face it, until very recent years scanning was something that only pre-press bureaux and maybe some big pro labs did. But then they generally did it with drum scanners and the quality and depth was there. But now every bugger and his wife has a flat bed and a computer at home, and maybe even a dedicated 35mm film scanner, and the darkroom is by-passed altogether.

The trouble is, apart from optical problems with home scanners, they are also CCD based, which means they just don't have anything like the depth of sensitivity needed for a good transparency (might be okay for negative film). And that's true even for Imacons (I mean, they are CCD-based).

A drum scanner uses a Photo Multiplier Tube (PMT) which has bags more depth. It also has the transparency fixed to a precision glass drum, and excellent optics, so that the focus issue is perfectly handled, and finally the transparency is cleaned and then mounted using special fluid, which AIUI circumvents the dust issue. I've seen comments on some LF forums suggesting that used drum scanners can be had for $5000, which is less that the price even of an Imacon. I think on the down side they are high maintenance beasts, and probably quite impractical for home use, but even so, I keep wondering! :)

Huw Evans.

8. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmmmm - but I have to say my Velvia 6x7s still look pretty good on my flatbed - but I do know that a certain greetings card company does do drum scans.

Anyone know if there is a reasonable scanner which will do MF and incorporates ICE or the like?

Clive

justmono2005

9. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Yes, it was "Rotter Rowley"

.........so called because at school he was infamous for promising the girls a bite off his toffee apple if they showed him their knickers. Of course he always welched on the deal.........................an absolute cad and a bounder! Was thrown out of Eaton for doing the same thing! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, there isn't! There's not a lot much cheaper than my MultiPro, which isn't cheap.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

11. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks Nick. Well, there should be

and it should be cheap.

Clive

justmono2005

12. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Would the top-end Nikon scanner not have ICE with it, though as usual for MF capable film scanners at a price to match.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

13. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Yes, I had a look Tim - and it's £2,300 on a UK website, but cheaper over there

Clive

justmono2005

14. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Re: Yes, it was "Rotter Rowley"

That would be Wallace Eaton of course?

Chris

[​IMG]

15. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Re: Yes, it was "Rotter Rowley"

When I got toffee all over their blue book?

But perhaps it refers to Eaton Hall when I tried to show the Duchess my toffee apple.

Clive

justmono2005