1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji S3 Pro shutter/mirror problem?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by ChrisMoore, Oct 10, 2014.

1. ChrisMoore

ChrisMoore Member

Hi, this is my first post. After loads of googling I still haven't managed to find anything relevant so thought I'd sign up here!

Last year I bought a Fuji S3 Pro body and it's been great apart from the fact that it doesn't seem to like taking pictures using shutter speeds faster than around 1/100! Anything slower than that is fine, but as I approach that speed I start to see the edge of what I imagine is the mirror being slow on returning - the faster the shutter speed the more mirror (black) I see. Anything over 1/200 and it's all black.

I've tried different lenses at different apertures, different batteries but the issue appears purely to do with shutter speeds rather than bad connections/lens compatibility and the like.

(Most of what I do is night time long exposure stuff so it hasn't been much of an issue for me but lately I've become interested in portrait stuff!)

Could it be that the shutter needs replacing or could it be something else?

Any help I would be very grateful!

Chris

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is probably the shutter. What is the flash synch speed? Apart from the fact 1/100 sounds a bit slow, above this speed the two shutter curtains have to work together to pass a strip of light across the sensor. It sounds like one is sticking.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

You could try taking the lens off and looking in through the lens mount as you fire the camera at different shutter speeds. This may give you a clue as to whether it's the mirror or shutter that is the reason for your woes

4. ChrisMoore

ChrisMoore Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned I've not been using any flash!

Thank you, taking IvorETower's advice of having a look with the lens off I think you might be right :)

5. ChrisMoore

ChrisMoore Member

Just had a look. Where I'd expect to see just a white image from each shot without any lens attached, as I do at slower speeds, I found that as I get faster and faster I see a black shape coming in more and more as the speed increases... I'm thinking shutter!

Now I have to decide if it's worth fixing the old thing... ££

Thank you!

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It has got nothing to do with using flash. To get exposures faster than a certain speed (duration) two curtains are needed. Flash (ignoring high speed flash) requires only one curtain in use (whole frame open) so the (max) flash sync speed marks the longest duration before the camera needs to use two curtains together. In the old days this used to be 1/60 - now for most cameras it is 1/200. which is why 1/100 seems a strange number to see the effect at.