1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji S3 Pro. Should I or shouldn't I

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by trescoekid, Jun 26, 2006.

1. trescoekid

trescoekid Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have always had Nikon kit for my 35mm use, but have decided I can't put off the moment any longer and am going to take the plunge. The trouble is that I can't decide between the Fuji S3 pro or the Nikon d200, both will take all my lenses I believe, but will they integrate well with my Sb 26 flash or will I have to upgrade that as well.
    Does anyone have any observations on the Fuji S3.

Now that it has come down to about £620 body only, it seems like a terrific deal. Or is it. I'm not into action shots. Mostly landscapes and portraits.

Can anyone help.

peter

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

From DPreview:

"The S3 Pro has a standard Nikon hot-shoe which can accept a wide range of Nikon Speedlights. It also now has full D-TTL flash sync support."

I've been dreaming of the S3 pro for a while, but it's going to be some time before I'm in a position to buy, by which time the S4 will probably be out (middle of next year according to the Fuji rep I spoke to a week ago).

The main advantage I see of the S3 is the wide dynamic range, although it seems as though it takes some messing about to take advantage of it (25MB RAW files!) it could be very useful for landscapes on bright sunny days.

If you're not into action shots, it's main drawback (slow shot-to-shot times) won't be so much of a problem.

One thing to bear in mind if you're planning on using your Nikon film camera lenses is that they probably wont have the extra coatings that lenses designed for digital cameras have, so flare from internal reflections from the sensor may be more of a problem.

3. 0

0 Guest

See Geoff's comments in the Nikon forum, also.

4. rob_watt

rob_watt Well-Known Member

This months What Digital Camera has a nice comparison of the S3, 30D and D200.

They placed them;

3rd = S3
    2nd = 30D
    1st = D200

If you want the reasoning get down the newsagents and buy a copy. The new issue is due soon I think.

5. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I'm sure I read someowhere that there is a version of the S3 with an extended IR and UV range. I think its for lab use but if the spec is same as the normal S3 it would open up the range of creativity available (inc. UV photogrpahy?)

Think it was in this weeks AP.

6. nikonuser

nikonuser Well-Known Member

There's also an s3 test in one of this months mags (can't remember name! saw it in smiths) an overall good review but seems to be set up to slightly over exposure, these camera's have a massice cult following, e.i not many around (comparativley) but those people that have them swear by them.........

7. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

The IR/UV model was mentioned in the News section of the forum not long ago, agreed it does look interesting, but quite whether there will be any way of actually getting hold of one (as a consumer) or what the cost will be, I don't really know. To be honest I'd much rather buy a cheap digi compact and get a company to totally invalidate my warranty by taking out the IR filter for me (which seems to be the major change between the standard and the UV/IR version if I remember correctly)

8. C6REW

C6REW New Member

Hi All,

Just joined the site and spotted this thread. I have owned an S3 since Jan 05 and as an amateur have been very impressed by the quality of pictures.

You most certainly need to go manual and learn basic functions. I have never been into cameras so a steep learning curve was required - still working at it!

Most recently I have bought an Elinchrom d-Lite 2 studio flash set up along with some back drops and the Sekonic L308S flash meter. One sitting later and I am fascinated by the quality of pictures produced.

Why would I recommend the camera? Simply put the pictures are stunning. I choose for most of the time to shoot in highest quality JPEG as I do not enjoy messing around in photoshop. I have been approached by friends who are typically into wedding photography and all would like an S3.

Why would I not recommend the camera? If you have any interest in photographing sport or need to take a lot of pictures quickly, forget it. By the time you go to RAW the write speep is unbearably slow and means you will almost certainly miss the best picture of the day!

Tell me how to put photos in the thread and I will upload a couple to give you an idea of what an amateur can take.

Regards

Chris

9. C6REW

C6REW New Member

Not sure if this will work, but I have a photobucket account so will put link to a photo here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/C6REW/DSCF3807.jpg

I got up at 03:00 when in St Ives to take shots of the fisherman and dawn breaking. I have sent this photo to a number of professionals as I am very proud of it. All have reported back that it is very good.

1/125 at f11, focal length of 200mm (300 in 35mm terms)
    spot metering, ISO100

Chris