1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji RAW converter

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Bazarchie, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am new to the Fuji X system and currently shoot in RAW and Jpeg. With my Canons I only shoot RAW and I use LR for converting and editing. For the type of photos I take on the Fuji, the Jpegs are fine, however if I do want to convert RAW files is LR up to the task? There is a lot of negative comment on LR and Fuji RAW but this may be out of date.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

LR is good. I think when the X series first came out it did not handle the files very well but it does fine now. I have seen it said to put the detail slider to 100% in sharpening to change the algorithm used. I tend to put it at 80% but I don't use high amounts of sharpening. I just use raw, same as for my Canons, as I see no point to keep jpgs when I can make them.

The "best" converter is probably SilkyPix - a cutdown version is available free from Fuji - but after LR it feels like a pig of a program to use. I had a trial of the full version and the results are very good.

There are some ambassadors for OnOne but I didn't think their 2017 version did a very good job with RAF. I bought the 2018 edition to see how my wife would get on with it - it has a magic eraser tool which is impressive at cloning with intelligent fill - but I found myself filling 4 crash reports ( it actually crashed 5 times but one restart didn't trigger a report) in the first 2 hours after installing it on Win 8.1. Not very impressed.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete

Very helpful. LR for me is a very good program and is getting better with each upgrade. I do not want to learn how to use other software if at all possible. I did download the Fuji version of SilkyPix this evening and tried it on one image, not successfully, I could not work out how to boast the shadows. However, I shouldn't judge after 5m.

4. PeteRob

No it is not straightforward compared to LR.

5. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

Please don't. I find it useful, it does nearly all I want to do, and best of all is free.
    It just has a long learning curve which is not helped by the online manual being poorly translated.

eg To boost shadows: make sure tone curve display is showing. It will show as a straight line. This is the user adjustable curve. (There is a separate curve as applied by the contrast setting which is only visible if you click the diplay box on the contast control. The two curves "add" together)

Click the "square +" symbol beneath RGB and either click on the tone curve straight line directly or position the cursor on the image in the shadow area you want to lift then use the input / output numbers to drag it up or pull it down until you are satisfied. You will see the new user curve will raise all the tones somewhat, which you may not want to do, so place two more drag points to restore the higher tones to where they were on the line

After a couple of minute practise, you'll get the hang of it. It seems complicated but it's not really. (it helps if you are motivated by not wanting to pay for Lightroom)

Get used to the tone curve display, it's how you adjust the levels too

Mine is the Panasonic version. I assume there are not differences to the Fuji version

Bazarchie likes this.
  6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The latest iteration of Light room is as good as it gets for a the newer fuji x cameras.
    However some of the older cameras still need you to set detail at 100.
    Though this is no longer true on my xe2 with v4 firmware update. Which can be set how you liKE.
    if you want free, and a tough time, you can use silkypix to blow your mind. But it is no better than LR. even when you get it sorted.

Bazarchie likes this.
  7. Michael Zanetti

Michael Zanetti New Member

Thanks for posting this valuable information.

8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Recently Fuji have brought out their own convertor Fuji raw Studio. It only supports a few models XT 2 X Pro 2 H1 and a couple more. I am not a raw user but I tried it. Well, it was a rainy day and nothing better to do......my thoughts. Free to download from their site. Basically it uses the cameras processing engine to display on screen.

Utter waste of space. The image must first be loaded on to a Mac ......yes must be a Mac, a raw file which has all the camera adjustments. Then one can adjust those presets to taste. But then comes the silly bit, you can only transfer the adjusted image back to the original folder as a JPEG. Then of course any further editing in LR etc is using the JPEG file.

Can't for the life of me see any advantage, apart from it sure is fast.

Oh and don't try using a raw file for instance from a XT20,it doesn't work. Seems crazy, same processor same sensor but not compatible.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's appalling. Surely insisting on giving the work to a Scot is an offence under the race relations act? :confused:

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I suppose a helpful post from you isn't likely

11. PeteRob

I think the previous Fuji software only worked on Windows so most peculiar launching it on OS-X.

I've just (seconds ago) had an email from Fuji asking if I wish to remain on their mailing list. I guess this is the new data protection regulation where you have to opt-in for them to legally keep your details in a database.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It was helpful. It caused you to correct the typo - didn't it?

13. Terrywoodenpic

Sounds absolutely bonkers to me. What tiny fraction of their customer base are they aiming this at? and Why?

14. PeteRob

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Indeed Terry it does seem a bit strange. The actual interface I see quite good, clear and well laid out. Obviously Fuji know more about film simulation then any third party, sharpening perhaps another point, and as I said it really is fast. But for me, I just cannot see why the only format to save images is JPEG..

And yes it seems Fuji now provide this software for Windows users. No the X Pro2 has no provision for USB. Charging, th e XT20 has.....but not usable with the software. Go Figure!

It all seems to make a mockery of all who contend raw is the only way to go. With this software you shoot raw then immediately turn it into exactly the same file as you would have if you had ignored raw and just shot JPEG.

Mind you I think they are right.......anyone using anything other then JPEG with the latest Fuji sensors and processing engines is bonkers or has too much time on their hands.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  16. Terrywoodenpic

I have sufficient time on my hands to shoot raw. But the more you process them the quicker you get at it. I am quite unable to even leave a Jpeg alone.

17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Considerate camera manufacturers (like Pentax) offer the option to generate RAW files in Adobe's DNG format, which avoids all these problems. Others try to make you use their own software or 'upgrade' your current software to accommodate their own RAW format.
    Something else to spend time learning, or something else to spend money on that you could better save to spend on a lens.

I don't know if this is the right place to make this point, but I have found the option to adjust exposure and colour balance of a RAW file before saving it as a JPG to be very useful. The camera's colour balance setting for its JPG files has never been changed from 'daylight' - so checking this is one less thing to forget to do when taking a picture.

18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Actually my" only shoot JPEG" is no longer true.

Change it to " I only shoot raw"

Why?

Playing around with Fuji Studio I discovered my " Subscription" Lightroom was two years out of date. So installed the latest version and the result?

I now only shoot raw. :)

19. Terrywoodenpic

It has improved no end.....:)