1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji Rangefinders

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by robbybobby, Mar 15, 2003.

1. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Hello people.
    Sorry to natter on about MF gear again, but has anyone had any experience with the Fuji 645 rangefinders?
    I've seen some around of less than £350, which seems like quite a good bargain judging by results from other fuji rangefinders, but what are the lenses like?
    Are they likely to beat my Yashinon on Yashica-mat, if not, then I won't bother saving up since my aim is to improve quality.

Rob

If something isn't worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

By reputation Fuji's rangefinder lenses are second to none. I don't know if we have anyone here who has used the 645s, but there are some who have 690s, and they bore the sh1t out of us all banging on interminably about the quality of their lenses! :) [Send 'em down to the Contax forum, I say - if they want a fight we'll give 'em one! ;-)]

At a guess, I'd say that a Fuji 645 would definitely beat the YashicaMat, but whether you would find the difference enough to justify spending £350 is another matter - it would all depend on how much you can afford to part with that sort of money. I would think the gain in image quality of the 645 over the 'Mat would be significantly less than the gain you derive in going from 35mm up to the TLR, just to put it in perspective.

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

3. robbybobby

I have realised that, Huw(bout change in quality). Sounds good. If I can bear to part with my 124g (yeah right), then hopefully it's part exchange value will drop the price a bit. Any1 got a rough value on a 124g with two filters (skylight and yellow) and hood, case and in mint condition?
    Anybody know how much these actually sell for like this?
    All help appreciated and thanks for the opinion, Huw.

Rob

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I haven't used one myself, but some say that Fuji lenses have horrible bokeh (that word again) if such things are important to you.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

If you're thinking about this seriously, it may be an idea to crack on with it. It is extremely likely that Fuji's 645, 670 and 690 models are to be discontinued. The current phrase is that production is to be "scaled back", due to dramatic fall in worldwide sales - apart from the UK and one or two other countries that is.

If they do stop making them, the s/h prices are sure to rise.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

6. robbybobby

Right. Why on earth they aren't selling well is beyond me! They're compact, quality MF cameras. I guess the non-interchangeable lens is the only thing.

Rob

7. 0

0 Guest

Unfortunately, quality and technical superiority is no guarantee of sales. Remember Betamax? :-(

Steve

BTW Rob, if you don't remember Betamax, we oldies don't want to know! :)

8. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Don't part with the 124G! I am on my 3rd model of this lovely camera having P/Ex'd the others (Starting in 1971!). You will miss it and a dealer is going to offend you with £50 - £60 trade in offer.

If you want to get into serious MF then go the Bronica/Hasselblad way for maximum versatility. Second choice is Mamiya C330 et al, for choice and versatility.

After 30-odd years using cameras I have found out that there isn't one ideal model, so I use the best one for the job in hand. Eventually you end up with:

Landscape 5x4
    Weddings Hasselblad
    Social EOS 5
    Most other D30
    Messing about - anything from car boot sales, 2nd hand shops, AP, Home-made, Polaroids, Pin Hole............It never ends!

Johnmac

9. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

I have a GS645S, the wide angle version with the 60mm lens, and I <font color=red>HATE</font color=red> it.

The lens quality is fine, but everything else about the camera is dreadful. Controls for aperture, shutter speed, film speed and self timer are poorly designed and fiddly to use. The plastic body feels cheap and nasty, and the rangefinder is a joke. It's an ugly bugger too, but it's the results that count, and on that score, it delivers, but then so do your Yashicas, and you're unlikely to see much improvement in quality. If I were you, I'd only consider a 645 as an addition to your kit rather than a replacement for your Yashica.

Geoff

10. robbybobby

I am a great fan of 124g's, but I've got an original Yashicamat as well which is much better built than the 124g's, hence why I'm not too distressed about giving up my 124g - however, if all I'm being offered is £60, then I'll forget it! May try to sell private, get more that way. I payed £175 for it, so I'll not take less than £150, especially since the other 124g it arrived at the shop with at the time was £165, now is £190.

Rob

11. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

They do sell well at the prices you mention, if I hadn't got mine I would have it!

Johnmac

12. robbybobby

Indeed. I may well hold on to it as their prices do seem to be climbing, keep tags on Fuji for their announcements on stopping their RF's, then I'll sell it before prices start climbing again. What do you reckon?

Rob

13. F1F2

F1F2 Well-Known Member

Sod bokeh, the Fujis are fantastic! I used a GS645W for a few years, together with a GS645S. The results were outstanding in terms of quality of image. They make thet feeble 'ping' sound when fired, but when the film comes back from the Chemist.........hubba, hubba!

I've moved on to a GSW690III with fixed 65mm lens. Thinking of ditching my other gear and making the beast 'work' for me. It's so easy to use and the results are mind blowing. Leave Hasselblad for dead- yes they do, I know, just sold my three because they don't come close.

Buy one, you will not be disappointed, whether 645 , 6x7, or even the 6x9 (Which has to be reloaded every half hour.......)

Here endeth the lesson....

Mick