1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji GS645S

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by PentaxManiac, Jul 11, 2013.

1. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Spotted one of these medium format cameras on sale second hand for under £300. Anyone familiar with it?

Browsed the web for background and two potential problems wre mentioned;-

The rangefinder is difficult to use, as the double image you make a single image is very faint?

The "cow bars" are needed as the lens assembly is very fragile and many used models are damaged because of this?

Fair criticisms, or should I take a punt on this one?

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I had one many years ago, the problem I had was with the film wind on, didn't seem to work properly; wound the film across OK, but didn't seem to load it on to the take-up reel tightly, with the result that it became hard work to wind on towards the end of the reel.

Could have just been my model, of course, but I had it checked and it was returned apparently OK. But it still did it, so I got shot of it.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I had the widey-dangle version for a while, bought s/h, and had no problems with it. It had an eye-bite-ingly sharp lens. :D

Hassles? Hmm. Has extra tripod hole for horizontals but the grip is always to hold it for 'portrait' format: camera was designed & built before 35mm camera designers were considering such things on a regular basis. Shutter release not quite as feely as most 35mms. Slightly bulky because of non-collapsible lens arrangement.

But these are minor quibbles: very, very minor ones. Ooops: forgot to add one 'downside' in my view: why didn't the designers make it 16-on 120? Great camera for one film type/one camera/one lens day-trips out or for producing, say, high-quality B&W film images as part of a bag containing a DSLR & some zooms. ;):D

I think I would have it now had I not, at a certain point, needed less cameras to choose from, really needed the space and also found the proceeds helpful.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, and apologies for not acknowledging them sooner.

I decided not to go for this camera after seeing one at a good price, as I wasn't keen on portrait format being the norm.

Since then I've seen a similar but larger model that shoots on 6x9 cm for only slightly more. Quite tempted by that.......

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oooh. If it's a Mk3 in reasonable or better nick, go for it. Currently they sell for £500/£600+ at dealers.

Be aware that there are umpteen variants of all of the medium format Fuji's. I don't know how much better the Mk3s are compared to Mk2s & 1s. IIRC, there are also versions before those 'numbers'. Also check the focal length. You are probably aware that there are two options: a standard and wide-angle. The wides can sometimes be worth a tad more than the standards. The larger Fujis also have total frame counters so you can check whether they have had much film through or not.

6. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

If you have found one at a good price, go for it. If you don't get on with it you could re-sell it and get most of your money back.
    Over the years I have been tempted by the Fuji 6x9s but so far have not succumbed. I found 6x9 negatives a pleasure to print from and would have loved something more portable than a Sinar 54 with RFH to shoot them with.