1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji Finepix S5600

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by 35005CP, Apr 11, 2011.

1. 35005CP

35005CP Member

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help please? I have a Fuji Finepix S5600 Camera. Does anyone know what the right settings should be for moving objects? I have invested in a tripod now (So any help would be much appreciated)

Many Thanks

Andy

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum!

Since it seems no-one else has answered your post, I'll have a go.

Firstly, when you ask about settings, it depends on the effect you want to create. Do you want everything pin sharp? Or do you want the moving object to be slightly blurred, to convey the impression of motion? If you want motion blur, do you want the whole object blurred, or just the faster moving parts (aircraft propellers etc.) blurred?

Then it depends on the scene that you're photographing. The amount of blur that shows in a photo depends on the number of pixels that the object moves across while the shutter is open, which in turn depends on both the speed and the distance - a person walking past a couple of feet away could be more blurred (at the same shutter speed) than a jet aircraft half a mile away (though the effect of distance also depends on the focal length you're using).

As a rough guide, the slowest shutter speeds to freeze motion for typical shots are as follows:

People walking: 1/100s
    People running: 1/250s
    Cars: 1/500s
    Prop aircraft: 1/500s - 1/1000s (though 1/250s usually gives nice blurred props)

Objects moving straight towards or away from you will obviously be less blurred than those moving from side to side.

The easiest way to use these speeds is probably the shutter priority (S) mode. At the long end of the zoom, you're likely to need shutter speeds of around 1/500s anyway, to avoid camera shake, unless you use your tripod. In light less than a bright sunny day, you'll probably have to increase the ISO sensitivity to 400 or more, especially when zoomed in. This may make noise (coloured blotches) more visible.

Hope this helps. Please come back with more details of exactly what you want to photograph, so we can give you more detailed advice.

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I agree with most of Alex's post. But your camera only has a maximum of 380mm so you should be safe above 1/380. Also you have anti camera shake in this model as well. That usually give you another stop to play with. Therefore should be ok even at 1/200. My s100fs is ok at 1/200 and it has a 35mm equiv 400mm lens.

So I would agree put the camera in S mode and you should see the effect of shutter speed on moving objects.

Looking at the camera I cannot see a zoom scaling telling the user how much zoom is in use. Not helpful because on most cameras with manual zooms you get this so you can judge what shutter speed you can chance. There is a EVF scale but that is not as precise IMHO. But if it is half way or 3/4 then you can work out 1/80 should work or 1/150.

The only thing Alex did not mention is that the real skill with shutter speed on moving object is using panning for something like a sport car. Using a slow shutter speed say 1/200 and panning the camera to match the speed of the passing car so the background and wheels get blurred but not the details of the car body work ie logos etc. If successful at really low shutter speeds it can give great power and excitement to a shot.

This can apply to wildlife as well but there is gets more tricky because of body movement of the subject.

What subjects are you thinking of trying to shot?

4. 35005CP

35005CP Member

Hi Alex,

Thankyou so much for coming back to me. This should give you an idea what I photograph; http://www.wix.com/35005cp/photography#!photographs

I find that turning the setting to S on the camera delays the speed of the shot. Setting it to Auto, i find I am able to take multiple quick shots. Although the shots don't always come out how I always want or expect from the camera. I can send you a picture if you like of some photos I took recently that didn't come out at all well with it set to S on the camera.

Many Thanks for your help.

Andy

5. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

When you say that, do you mean a delay before the shot is taken?

This will be the delay caused by the autofocus starting up. The trick is to half depress the shutter button to start the autofocus, before you actually want to take your photo.

6. 35005CP

35005CP Member

Hi Fen,
    Yes there is too much of a delay. I have tried the trick of depressing the shutter button, but this takes too long. Especially as you only have a few seconds in which to get a few shots before the object has been and gone.

7. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

It's something you're going to have to get used to then as there (as far as I know) is no way around it apart from the half-press trick.

Either that... Can you go into 'Manual Focus' mode? Then you just need to pre-focus on the area you want to take the photo before you start taking photos.

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

It might be that the camera in AUTO mode is using Continuous AF. Which means it will be focusing all the time. So when you go to press the shutter the AF lag might be lower. There is a AF/MF button that cycles through the AF modes. One being C-AF. So try the camera on S mode then set it to C-AF using that button. See if that helps.

The AF lags seems to be according to the website below about 4/10 of second. This is typical for a bridge camera using contrast AF detection. You also might want to set the camera to centre AF as well so when you point the crosshairs on the subject it picks that not multi which can cause it to look wider and pick something else.

Can I confirm is it the wildlife presenting problems or the steam engines?

9. 35005CP

35005CP Member

Okay. I have just set it to Continuous AF. So i will try it next time. I have just done a few test shots and there is a delay in the image re-appearing on my screen. Which means that I cannot take another shot until the display comes back. Is this because of the setting it is on? (i.e 'S')

10. 35005CP

35005CP Member

Apologies, yes this is for Steam Engines which tend to rush up to you at about 75mph at a max speed.

11. AlexMonro

If you have the locomotive approaching you almost head on at 75mph, the biggest problem might be the autofocus keeping up with it.

Some cameras don't allow the shutter to be released unless the AF thinks it's locked on, but there may be a way to disable this, and the small sensor of the S5600 means that you get a lot of depth of field, so with luck, most of it will be in focus. Stopping down the aperture to f/5.6 or f/8 will give you a bit more DoF - you may want to use full manual mode ("M") to set aperture & shutter speed, perhaps trying a few test shots before the train gets there to make sure the exposure is right (check the histogram).

Otherwise, as Fen suggested, use manual focus mode to pre-focus on where you expect it to be, and gently squeeze the shutter button just as it gets there. This can be trickier than it sounds, so practice as much as you can, possibly on mainline diesel trains.

If you're more side on than head on to the train, then you'll have to practice panning, which Fen will tell you is even harder :) (I find it hard, I've very few successful panning shots).

12. 35005CP

35005CP Member

Do you photograph Steam as well? I have set the camera up for what I think will benefit me for next time. I did set it up a while back and forgot the settings for some fantastic shots on a preserved line. Unfortunately for me, Fotopic went down and I didn't back up these shots. And I didn't use a Tripod either. I was so pleased with those.
    I am all but an amateur as you may have guessed. But I incorporate Photos and Steam as I love them both. Thanks for all our help so far everyone. Knowledge is a valuable source!! A fantastic forum and friendly guys!!

13. AlexMonro

I have a bit, but mostly locomotives either stationary or shunting at slow speed. Most of the preserved lines near me in the Southwest (Dart Valley, Torbay-Dartmouth, West Somerset, East Somerset) seldom get up to more than 30MPH anyway.

Keep experimenting and practicing - it's the best way to learn! :)