1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTB shutter release cable

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pocketshaver, Dec 11, 2019.

  1. pocketshaver

    pocketshaver In the Stop Bath

    I need to find a shutter release cable, but have no clue what connector I need. See several kinds and I cant find anything from canon
  2. PeteRob

    PeteRob Well-Known Member

    I expect it uses a mechanical cable release. These are a coaxial construction, a spring loaded inner rod moves inside a sleeve one end of which screws into a socket on the camera. The other end has a plunger for moving the inner rod. Pressing the plunger moves the point of the inner rod against a switch which releases the shutter. The plunger may have a lock to allow bulb exposures. Typically the cable socket is threaded into the shutter release button for cameras with focal plane shutters. For leaf shutters it may be the lens itself.

    I'd expect the threads to be universal. These days most releases are electronic and work by completing the shutter release circuit. I think Fuji still thread some of their shutter releases to take a conventional cable. Google threw up a lot of hits for search "mechanical cable release".

    If you are getting into very long exposures with film you need to know about film reciprocity failure
  3. gray1720

    gray1720 Well-Known Member

    As far as I know, old-fashioned mechanical cable releases are almost universal - there's a few Nikon ones that with a wide threaded barrel around a plunger that need the appropriate collar round the shutter button, but the rest are pretty similar.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

    Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

    If by "FTB" you mean the Canon FTb then you want the common mechanical release. Go to amazon.co.uk and put "cable release" in the search box. There are several available from around £11.00.

    Camera Canon TLb on tartan rug with price tag 8609.jpg

Share This Page