1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Frenzy At The Feeder

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Bipolar, May 5, 2020.

1. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

We have been putting out humming bird feeders for quite a few years now.
    Some years we get quite a few some years not so many. This year there are a lot.
    I was worried that they weren't coming as they normally show up in late march but
    this year did not arrive till late April. Tonight I counted eight at one time buzzing
    around the feeder. The feeder only has four stations but they are not very good at taking turns.
    They are amazing little creatures I am going to get some pictures with the sun shining on them
    so you can see their metallic colouring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Amazing. I thought they were subtropical birds but according to wikipedia there are 5 species across Canada. These look like ruby throated hummingbirds, the most widespread.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I remember when I first saw them. It was at my sister's when she was living in Southern California. She had a feeder in their back garden. Could sit for a good while watching them.

4. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Why does a hummingbird feeder have perches?

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

So that there is a plaice for them to stand.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

fishy that

7. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Humming bird are so fast its hard to get a good look at them. The perches allow the person
    feeding them to get a better look and pictures as well.

8. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Pictures yes, but with all the features that make a hummingbird what it is, negated. Without the widespread wings and tail and the gravity defying, in flight refuelling hover, it's just another bird.