1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Freezing.

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bill Stewardson, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

Hello to all.

Now then, it really is megga cold round here (Sheffield) just now, and is likely to be like this for a while.
    Being old enough to remember free school milk , once I get cold I stay cold, which happens a lot as I spend much of my time wandering along The Rother.
    Thing that gets me the most is cold fingers,, once they go that’s that.
    So,, gloves I have are far too “bulky” for working fiddly camera dials etc, question therefore being,
    Which are the best gloves for working your beloved toy in the worst of the cold ?

Gah

Bill.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Bill,

Any gloves, or even mittens, plus silk liners.

Cheers,

R.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If your finger tips tend to go white in the cold and lose feeling then it is a circulatory condition (can't remember how to spell it, begins with an R, R.....'s Syndrome) and as you say, once they go!

For Christmas I was given a set of "hot rocks". These are USB charged hand-warmers that can double up as power banks. They heat to 40 C (optionally 50 C) in a few seconds and you can turn them on and off. The run time seems to be about 3 hours continuous and although I have one for each hand it is sufficient to swap one hand to hand. They work best in a pocket so that less heat is lost. You need a 2A mains USB charger - can't charge them from a computer.

I wear thick padded gloves if I'm out. My Canons have big buttons and can be used with gloves.

Bill Stewardson likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Ardent spirits, used wisely, can help. Why do you suppose that St. Bernard dogs are traditionally portrayed with brandy barrels around their necks?

Cheers,

R.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree. Silk gloves are relatively cheap. I get mine via amazon.Jasmine silk. company.
    I do have Raynaud's syndrome, so my hands can go bloodless even holding something cool. Supermarkets are a chore. I go round wearing my gloves there. Also useful are fingerless wrist warmers. I get cashmere ones from a company who recycles cashmere into cosy products. It is called Turtle Doves.

Bill Stewardson and Roger Hicks like this.
  6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Woollen mittens which have a flap over the fingers....

Lynn

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Reynard' s syndrome

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's the Foxy spelling

Zou likes this.
  9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

These are probably the sort of thing you're looking for...

Somewhere I have a pair of standard 'Thinsulate' gloves where I cut a slit into the forefinger which allowed me to slip the end of the forefinger back over the actual finger - seemed to work quite well.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Bill Stewardson

I will train Snowy (that’s him at Left) to follow me dragging along a John Smiths.

11. Bill Stewardson

“Any pair of gloves” many thanks for your help.

I went to the Army & Navy store, they have gloves which radio operators use in cold places,
    Finger and thumb cut off on one hand, cost a fiver.

Perfect.

Cheers.

Catriona likes this.
  12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

go to your local market, I got two pairs of fingerless gloves for £3

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I had a pair of shooting gloves with just the trigger finger missing. They would’ve been ideal last week. Shame it’s not just my trigger finger of the gloves that are missing, as I can’t find the gloves anywhere. be ideal. I was in krakow last week, and I had thick woollen gloves, which I eventually gave up on and just put my hands in my pockets when I got cold.

Roger Hicks and Bill Stewardson like this.
  14. Catriona

I can remember having chamois leather ones when I used to go up in the Jet Provosts. Wish I had them now!
    kate raf ap.jpg

dream_police likes this.
  15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That badge definitely needs replacing with this one.

upload_2019-1-18_15-50-18.jpeg

Zou, MJB, DaveM399 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Catriona

I was quite good!
    ap my ton with rifle.jpg

Learning, Zou, Roger Hicks and 5 others like this.
  17. Bill Stewardson

Many thanks to everyone.

18. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I have Raynaud's, so if it’s cold, my hands are usually cold, even if exertion has overheated the rest of me! I have some SealSkinz ‘Outdoor Sports Mittens’, with a thermal rating 4 on a scale of 1 to 5. They are half finger gloves with a fold over mitten flap to cover the ends of your fingers (held back a Velcro fastening), and another flap for the thumb. I’ve seen similar gloves, but without the claim of waterproofing, of another brand, I think Jack Wolfskin. They’re great in cool weather, but with my hands, if the temperature gets anywhere near freezing, they’re not warm enough, even with a pair of knitted half finger gloves underneath. I’ve been looking for gloves of a similar design but much warmer (when we were growing up, 1962-3, our mother bought a box of ex-army gloves, some of which were lambskin with the wool on the inside, again with fold-back mitts, but less sophisticated). But I’ve had no luck, and looking on the SealSkinz and Jack Wolfskin websites, I no longer see any like my current ones.

I hope you find some gloves that work for you, Bill!

Chris

19. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

My wife suffers from Raynauds and plays tennis (outdoors, 12 months of the year!) with a Yaktrax Hand Warmer in each glove. They last for 8 hours so should be long enough for a day's shooting this time of year.

Back to the OP, I'm out and about with a Nikon D750 and quite thick gloves - but by shooting with aperture priority, autofocus and Auto ISO all I need to do is zoom in or out and press the shutter, with not a lot of fiddling required! Works for me!

Alan.

20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member