1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by robbybobby, Jun 13, 2003.

1. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

I noticed a couple of delapidated (spelt correctly?) enlargers knocking around the school the other day. After a word with a member of staff, I found out that many years ago (like, 30 years!) the school had a photography club and a complete darkroom! The bloke said I was welcome to the bits, but a brief look at the enlargers showed that they were pretty well knackered. But I've pulled the lenses out of them and was wondering if anybody knows anything about them.
    They're a Fujinon 90mm f/4.5 and an ASTRON 50mm f/3.5 lenses.
    Any information would be helpful, eg. how old, performance etc.
    Thanks,

Rob CRIPN

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

2. jonlee

jonlee Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    Not sure about the lenses. Fujinon is fairly good lens and Astron (unknown to me) possibly Italian. It looks like your school used to print 120 film as well as 35mm. The enlargers may still be usable. Points to look at are:- 1/ if they are condenser or cold cathode lamp heads, 2/ the condition of the lamp heads, 3/ the lamp housing themselves, 4/ the focussing mechanism, 5/ the structure, ie. if the upright rail is right angle to the baseboard, 6/ multi-grade facilities. If these are all in good order, then it's worth having. Oh, the multi-grade facility could be just a filter holder below the lens.
    Jon

3. robbybobby

The comment about 120 - are you suggesting the Fujinon is a 120 lens?

Rob CRIPN

4. jonlee

jonlee Well-Known Member

Yes, 90mm covers 120 size negative. It worth holding onto.
    Jon

5. robbybobby

I've got a 54 enlarger, so I might try it on that when I enlarge my 6x6cm negs. thanks, Jon, I probably wouldn't have thought about it myself.

Rob CRIPN

6. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Astron is (or was) a maker of all sorts of inexpensive photographic accessories - I doubt the lens is up to much. But as Jon says the Fujinon is probably quite decent.

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

7. jonlee

jonlee Well-Known Member

You've saved yourself around £80. How are you getting on with your b/w processing and printing?
    Jon

8. robbybobby

I've not had any processing problems yet, and tried developing 400 Tmax in ID11 1:3 for 15mins last night - it worked well! I've not had good results with ID11 and Tmax previously, so I was pretty chuffed.
    I'm doing fine with my printing, but the paper is old and fogged. Some new stuff is slowly heading my way from Guernsey, but it's taking an age. I'm also discovering that the finished brightness of the print seems to be almost entirely due to the exposure from the enlarger. I havn't actually noticed a great deal of change from the first 30 secs in the developer and 2 mins or so. Is this normal?

Rob CRIPN

9. jonlee

jonlee Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to hear that you have success with your processing. You'll soon find your own method and favourite chemicals. As for printing, I used to develope my prints in 1 min. The image started to appear around 15-25 secs. I remember I left the print in the developer for longer like 2-3 mins to achieve heavier black. The brightness of the print (highlight area) depends on the whiteness of the paper. If the paper has been fogged slighly, it'll look dirty or flat.
    Post some of your work so we can see. BTW, you have a 5/4 enlarger, which one?

Jon

10. robbybobby

I've no idea which 54 enlarger it is - ask Johnmac, he gave it to me!
    Here's one I made earlier, a less than perfect 400 Tmax neg, in the early bad days of ID11 dev'ing, but it seems to have printed okay, albeit a bit harsh contrast (Grade 4, learn from my mistakes I will).
    [​IMG]

Rob CRIPN

11. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

I think it is an Envoy by MPP, double condenser, looks like the much missed Gnome enlargers from the 50's and 60's, but bigger. I gave it to Rob because I don't have a high enough ceiling to use it!

Johnmac
    If at first you don't succeed, ring the Help Line.

12. robbybobby

John, I don't suppose you know where the four nuts that hold the coloumn onto the stand are? They weren't in the box. I'm pretty certain that they're imperial fitting, similair to M6 in size, but a different thread.

Rob CRIPN

13. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

They are chrome dome nuts I believe, and I thought they were in the box with the wiring and other bits. I will have a look in the junk room for them though, and send them on if found. Just got back from a 4am photoshoot at Flamborough Head testing all the 54 lenses etc. and need to lie down before exerting myself further! D30 sample: [​IMG]

Johnmac

14. jonlee

jonlee Well-Known Member

Hi Rob, nice shot. I posted my comment when I saw it in another forum. My comment was the contrast is OK. You'd probably see this kind of shots in BJP. If I was printing this pic, I'd burn in the top right hand corner to bring in details of sky so to separate from the helmet. But it's a great portrait, because it conveys his personality. Happy go lucky young man loves the outdoors. And climbing is one of his hobbies. The composition is just right. If you burn in the top right hand side to show more of the road or land, it will give more depth (perspective) to the shot. Like to see more in future, Rob.
    Jon

15. jonlee

jonlee Well-Known Member

Hi John, are you professional photographer? Lucky enough to test 5/4 lenses.
    Jon

16. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Not now, Jon, these lenses are a couple that I recently had re-shuttered plus a new 90mm Super Angulon. I use a 6x7 back now with my Wista, it is nice to subject myself to the disciplines of Large Format now and again. It took me 40 minutes to takes 8 frames today, a bit different to 4 fps on the D30!

Johnmac

17. robbybobby

I will start burning once I have the damned overdue paper.:-(
    I tried a bit of burning on another print, but it was my last sheet and the exposure was well off anyway.

Rob CRIPN

18. robbybobby

This is ture, John. I was amazed how long it took me to set up a shot when I shot my first 54 frame.
    Incedently, I raided the garage and found a tub of old imperial nuts and bolts. I've got 4 that fit it now and the washers too, they're not the same as each other (some are square), but they do the job. The enlarger is set up now alongside the Durst, but the height adjuster on the coloumn and focussing adjuster on the actual lens bellows are both slipping, the focussing one won't stay in one place and keeps on sliding down. As of yet, I havn't found an adjusting screw, although I shall keep on looking. I found another neg in there, another tree one. I'll scan it when I have a spare moment - it a pic of a tree, very sharp incedently!
    I also screwed the Fuji lens I found into the enlarger and projected a 12x12" pic from a 'mat neg and I was stunned by the sharpness, so the enlarging lens must be pretty good. It doesn't focus too well, though, because it's a 90mm and the bellows don't retreat enough. The head is designed to be used with the 150mm it came with I think.
    There doesn't seem to be a red focussing filter on the enlarger, is it just well hidden?

Rob CRIPN

19. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

You will find that the rail of the focussing mechanism is worn so you may need to pad out the 'box' containing the wheel. I'm sure that if there was a red swing filter it would be around with the other stuff, any tell-tale screw holes on the lens carrier plate?

The column locks with the knurled alum. knob on the left, just below the large black Bakelite one. The bellows focussing is a friction plate with 4 screws applying pressure on the wheel drive, so you could tighten it at its loosest spot and accept stiffness outside this area.

Johnmac

20. jonlee

jonlee Well-Known Member

John, is the Wista a roll film reflex camera? I'm not familiar with it. Must get extremely sharp pictures with that. Love to see some examples. Did you say you were up till 4 am? That's dedication!
    Jon