1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Found a low profile head with pan at top and bottom

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Terrywoodenpic, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Just taken delivery of my new HighLights ball head to suit my X T30. I noticed them on Ebay and at the price seemed worth a gamble as I had always wanted a low profile ball that had rotation at the Top.
    I also liked the look of the more unusual ball tightening method.
    Apart from the fantastic price of only £28.99 ( said from china but mine actually posted in UK and came in under a week)
    It has proved to be exceedingly well made to very close tolerances and locks down solid as a rock. they say it will hold up to 12Kg and I would believe it.
    Main features
    On the top plate there is a miniature but very accurate spirit level
    Both top and bottom rotators are smooth as butter and lock solid with no effort.
    The 36mm ball is both smooth easy to adjust. and because it is locked around the circumference, does not move one iota with no sag, as it is tightened the lock lever clamps it rock solid with no effort.
    With only a 75mm profile height with out mounting plate It adds minimum leverage.
    The swiss type quick release is very precise with no play.
    The weight with out a plate is 241 gm
    and a nice little head cover bag....

Overall I am exceedingly pleased with it, and it is the easies ball I have ever had to level up and frame an image. ( mostly I do not care for ball heads so I am difficult to please.)
    It is very easy and intuitive to set the right tension with the locking lever when adjusting the ball, certainly easier than the usual pressure screw.

As part of my normal kit of Fuji X T30, Small rig L plate and Manfrotto 190xproL,
    it compliments the rest very well.

you can find it at...ebay number 123847814696

TA3X5520web.jpg TA3X5522web.jpg TA3X5525web.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

looks well put together for £30

3. Terrywoodenpic

It is better put together and finished than my other, better known, ball heads... even the arises are all machine chamfered unlike many ball heads. and it locks more solidly than most of them. Even the locking knobs are beautifully machined out of solid metal not molded plastic.
    It would be good value at double the price.

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I don't know why people think Chines means cheap rubbish

I am disgusted that their whole economy is built on the back of fraudulently copying others such as Dyson, Wimberley and so on but........... who am I to complain if governments are too feeble to do anything about it

ChrisNewman likes this.
  5. Terrywoodenpic

That is a massive exaggeration......... Chinese companies now spend more on research and development than any other country in the world. Companies like Huawei have become the world leaders in telecommunications through innovation and advanced engineering and electronics. they are prime movers in the international standardisation in the field. they have no need to copy any one.

When it comes to research, Design, engineering, electronics and advanced manufacturing, China is amongst the very best in the world.
    Companies like Duson rely on China's advanced manufacturing know how to produce much of their product. including batteries and high efficiency motors.

Like anywhere else there will always be Knock off shops, that produce cheap copies of fashion products and almost everything else.
    This scenario is pretty much inevitable, when foreign companies move their production from place to place, searching for lower prices and leaving entire factories with out work, overnight, and workers with out jobs. It is equally certain that such people will use their skills and facilities to fill the vacuum, and retain their livelihoods.

Wimberley like products have ben available long before Wimberly came on the scene. They are certainly good of their type, but not necessarily the best, nor the only high quality ones available. China probably makes the majority of them, what ever name is on them.

Even companies as old and well established as Wahl who invented the shearing and hair clipper in the USA, now have their machines made in China.... I know because I have one. As do Remington another old American company who has moved their production to China. Braun on the other hand still have their electric Razors made in Germany (and I have one of those).

I remember back in the fifties, being told and believing, that japan only made copies and knock offs, in the same way that people believe that China is supposed to do today. It was a fallacy then and it is a fallacy now.

However different countries do have different patent and copyright regulations, and protection time limits, than do others. China has more relaxed regulations than some. even those between the EU and the USA differ. The people of the world follow their own regulations, not those of America.
    However China does comply where it can. The world is slowly coming toward a consensus on these matters, but it is nowhere near a full agreement yet.

People will regret not taking China seriously, and not treating them as an equal.

Very few of our production factories and workshops are now equipped with the advanced and automated machinery to be found in China, nor do they have the skilled work force necessary to use it.
    Our Education and skills Training is lagging far behind, and shows no sign of attempting to catch up.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yes.

I wanted a hand-grip/L-frame for my X-T100. Fuji don't make one, Smallrig don't make one and the Meike one is no longer available so I got a cheap Chinese one. Arrived in half the estimated delivery time and works fine.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

While I agree entirely with your post I regard it as largely wasted effort. No racist ever had what passes for a mind changed by the truth.

8. Stephen Rundle

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The perceived problem with China is that they copy technology from advanced countries, the truth is somewhat different. As was the case with Japan they have always been capable artisans but their self imposed isolation kept their technology in check. Once that isolation was ended the simply demonstrated their skills and advanced rapidly.

Do they use "Western" technology? Almost certainly and the West uses theirs. However we routinely forget that development follows parallel paths. We claim that Frank Whittle invented the jet engine but without his input Germany had the first operational jet fighter; what we call a Cathode Ray Tube the Germans call a Braun tube, Randall and Boot didn't invent the cavity magnetron but they did stabilise it and make it usable. So, was the technology stolen or developed in parallel?

10. Andrew Flannigan

By one day. The Me 262 went on its first operation 26 July 1944 (so far as I can establish) and the Meteor on 27 July 1944. The competition was intense and it appears that both sides benefitted from the efforts of their respective intelligence services. The two designs never faced off in anger though it seems the RAF conducted some trials between captured 262s and Meteors in 1945-46.

Gloster Meteor fighter at Yorkshire Air Museum G9 P1012262.JPG

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The ME262 design endured somewhat longer than that of the Meteor. Have a look at a Boeing 737-100 or -200 and you will see many similarities with the 262.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Yes. A lot of German technology found its way into American products and thence back into Europe.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Absolutely... Buying Chinese is often the only solution. they can be relied upon to fill gaps in the market place.
    The quality of the products are usually at least equal to, and often better than, western brands.
    This is not a matter of copyright infringement, it is supplying the market place with what users demand.

14. Terrywoodenpic

Please do not derail this thread any further.
    I would be happy to reply on that subject on a thread started by yourself elsewhere on the forum.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

30 years ago Olympus discontinued the M15V Ni-Cd control pack for the OM System motordrives, had the Chinese been making the range of batteries they do today I suspect they would have stepped in and filled the gap. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

I've just looked at the same head on Amazon and it looks rather good, one of a range of heads. Cheaper than some of the alternatives they offer. I may have another look at that later.

16. Stephen Rundle

Therefore a direct infringement of a Dysan product copied in china is ok then ????, no one can deny it happens

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/06/china-technology-theft-fbi-biggest-threat

Read this from a CHINESE paper

http://www.chinaipmagazine.com/en/journal-show.asp?id=264

I have been buying chinese items for years, I still do, what i will NOT do is buy what I see as a direct copy sorry STOLEN copyright item, after all there is always a legitimate company and workers and in other countries here losing out.

I have developed......... sorry, something that does not exist for film processing, Hama Technology (Ilford) are looking at it now, I am selling it, it is copyrighted, and what did the Welsh business advisor say

"If it sells well, make the most of it before China steals it and reproduces it, your copyright will mean nothing"

That was from the Small business advice Wales.

ChrisNewman likes this.
  17. Terrywoodenpic

I have asked you not to continue taking this thread off topic please desist
    I would be happy to reply in a thread on that topic elsewhere

DaveM399 likes this.
  18. Terrywoodenpic

Yes they do three different size balls and various top fittings mine is the E2 ball with the H2 top
    You can get the same ball but with out the top rotator, but why would you, as it cost so little more.
    And it makes life so easy to do that final lining up with out having to touch the ball again. Or to do single row pans.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am rather hoping that it might be suitable for a simple video recording set-up, I would probably need two but it certainly looks good.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.