1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Product of the Year 2013

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Richard Sibley, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

Hi all

It's time to nominate what you think has been the best new product of 2013. You don't have to own one, but it has to be something you think deserves to be recognised at the Amateur Photographer Awards in the new year.

The first step is to nominate up to three products that were launched in 2013 by adding them to this thread. When the nominations are all in I'll pick the ten most mentioned, and then you can vote from that shortlist. Nominations will close on Monday, 2 December 2013 at 10am.

Get nominating!

Richard

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Righto!

Predictably from me:

1) Pentax K3 - They gave us what we had been waiting for - a viable update to multiple cameras from multiple manufactures, and threw in some innovation to boot with the AA filter simulator.

2) 3LT X0 Keith and his Airhed 0 - a CSC inspired travel tripod which folds to the size of a f2.8 70-200mm lens with a head which can carry up to 30KG? That's a bit new! (I know I always vote for a 3LT, but they are worth a shout, especially when trying to innovate such as this :))

3) Um... I was going to say the Frio V2, but it is the V1 with a screw-in converter... Not sure if it counts, but if it was the only way to make the perfect even better perhaps it does count? That's my third choice either way, please feel free to discount it if it's technically not enough new to count as a new product. :)

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I suppose that we should choose something that has lasting value rather than a camera that is superseded within the year. Sadly I fail to do that and as a loyal Nikon owner suggest two cameras.
    Pentax K3.
    Panasonic GX7.
    Maybe Nikon will provide a DX and a Nikon 1 camera for the 2014 awards.

4. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Not sure if it qualifies on date - Canon EOS 6D

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Nikon D7100
    Sony Alpha 3000
    Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 zoom lens

6. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

It's in the AP essential guide New Camera launches 2013 - so based on that i'd say yes.

Anyway, my list:

Canon Eos 6D

Adobe Lightroom 5

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My list:

Canon 6D

Olympus OM D-M1

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well if the 6D is eligable, it's for me the clear choice - I suspect it'll still be popular when some of this year's flash-in-the-pans have come and gone.

I'll add a CSC option - the Nikon 1 AW1. Brilliant idea, a Nikonos for the digital age.

And although not to everybody's taste, Adobe's Creative Cloud offering of Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for well under a tenner a month is an interesting move.

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I would like to nominate the OLympus OM-D E-M1.

I would, I really would.

But I think, on spec sheet alone, it is outgunned in so many departments - as are most of the other new camera releases of 2013 - by the Pentax K-500. On price it's unbeatable. You are getting a vast amount for your money. I expect many DSLR/EVSLR makers will have winced when that one was announced. Pentax are back in the big-time and jump to No.3 in the charts. :)

My reserve nomination - if it's true* - would be Agfa Scala at any price. Not that I use it or am likely to use it but 1. others will be delighted to see it back & will want to use it, and, 2. film is not dead as some, foolishly, have claimed.

* I haven't done any more to find out if it is merely the dregs of the last old stock, pulled from refrigeration and put in new packaging or whether it is really a re-birth. I would have expected an announcement but the company was quiet about its move back into B&W several years ago, so bashful may be the 21st century Agfa style. Will try to dig out some more info soon.

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

UK Agfa Scala Service

We offer an independent UK processing service for Agfa Scala film, and also for Europe, Australia and Japan.
    There has been no official processing for Scala film in the UK since Agfa closed in 2005, and ceased supply of components in early 2006.

Agfa Scala is a professional film which gives rich Black and White slides (transparencies), acclaimed for wide tonal range and a luxurious feel.
    The film achieves these elusive effects by a unique reversal process different to anything seen before.
    Scala film itself can surprisingly still be found, and we've seen film dated as far ahead as December 2010, although this is still probably
    repackaged final stock from 2005. The film is definitely no longer being manufactured as we have confirmation from Germany that the
    developers have all been discontinued. The best way to find Agfa Scala in the UK is to search on eBay for it.

11. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

1. The Black Rapid camera strap in it's latest "Curve" model.

2. Photo Ninja raw converter.

3. Fujifilm XF 55-200 mm f3.5-4,8 R LM OIS

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Pentax K3

13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The AP supplement of 2013 cameras did include it because it was "reviewed in 2013"

14. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

As above, items reviewed by AP in 2013 are eligible for nomination. Up to three nominations are allowed. As in previous years there will then be a vote based upon the 10 most nominated items and a prize, drawn at random, will be awarded to a forum member/reader who takes part in the final vote.

m

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I found that above quite quickly plus one or two other bits and pieces that suggested there were now no chemicals available and that all the old 2005 stocks had been used up, hence my qualification above.

If you read my Thread, however, you will see my interest was sparked when I came across a German dealer with stocks in new packaging.

Vaiirry interestinck! But ...

... zero publicity?

Hmmmn. :confused:

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lightroom 5 - simply outstanding raw processing and workflow functionality at an incredible price. It has breathed fresh life into even old files which previously were unusably noisy or hard to work on.

Harman Titan 8x10 - because I want one soooo very much. What's not to like about a new 8x10 precision UK made pinhole camera? Ticks all the right boxes for me. :cool:

Sony a7/a7r - finally we get 36x24mm sensor interchangeable lens cameras at the same size as the good old days. Now we just need the small light lenses...

17. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

1. Sony a7/a7r for the same reasons as Zou, plus the fact that with glassless chipped adaptors coming out, enabling full electronic control, the proprietary nature of lens mounts disappears.

2. Adobe Lightroom 5 for its exceptional value for money, and that an all-time licence can still be purchased. I now only use Photoshop for final print preparation and printing.

3. Sigma USB dock for their Art lenses, enabling firmware upgrades and multiple micro adjustments for zoom lenses - truly innovative.

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

1. Sony a7/a7r

2. Can't think of anything else ........... :(

20. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Last call for a...ward nominations.

Believe me that the manufacturers desire this award! Have your say :)

m

[video=youtube;vhoF-cuYuPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vhoF-cuYuPU[/video]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.