1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum competition January - Dormant

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by gray1720, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

200103-Helensburgh-004.jpg

3rd January 2020

'Cramberry' the (Wick)Steed horse. I rode on this horse when I was a child. It used to rock and sitting on the seat right at the back was a terrfifying experience to be enjoyed at every available opportunity. My son rode the same horse but some time after we moved away from Helensburgh its springs broke and it was taken out of service. Subsequent conversations that I've had have led me to believe that people up here didn't know about Wicksteed because it was declared irreparable and embedded into the ground much as you can see here.

In about 2017, the upkeep of the local park was passed from the Council to a sub-committee and a group of 'friends' of the park. With lottery funding and a lot of local fundraising they have been doing a magnificent job of renovating the park back to something like it used to be in its heyday. The whole park has felt dormant for some time. Cramberry here was rusty and neglected but locals didn't want to get rid of him because so many of us have happy memories associated with him. The local Toyota garage agreed to strip him down and give him a new paint job and although he will never rock again, he is in the process of being reinstated in the new play area for smalls to clamber on. Apparently he's just waiting for some new safety rubber (of the sort that we never had as kids!) and will be dormant no more.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Seedhead caged

ap seed head (2).jpg

Dan S likes this.
  3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thanks for including the background as well as the picture, it makes the whole post much more interesting.

gray1720 and Zou like this.
  4. Catriona

Grass

ap coloured grass.jpg

Geren, Dan S and Zou like this.
  5. Catriona

Fishing boats at rest
    ap ships at rest.jpg

RogerMac likes this.
  6. Catriona

Old school
    ap old school.jpg

Geren and dream_police like this.
  7. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Batman, she moves sometimes, just not very often

[​IMG]dormant-2 by Dan, on Flickr

MJB, Geren and RogerMac like this.
  8. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  9. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Zou, Geren, Catriona and 2 others like this.
  10. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Zou, Dan S and Geren like this.
  12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Looks fairly dormant to me.......................

Lynn

Attached Files:

Catriona, Dan S and Geren like this.
  13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Difficult subject this - having to go more slowly than usual over the archive.

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

passivhaus.jpg
    3rd January 2020 - The New Pavillion, Hermitage Park, Helensburgh

Allegedly the first public building in Scotland to be built to passivhaus standards. The council wants £50K a year from whomsover rents it to run it as a cafe. It was completed a few months ago and I don't know that they've had any interest because £50K a year in rent is a lot of cups of tea to sell! So for now, it's beautiful and emtpy.

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Tyres.jpg
    3rd January 2020 - Tyres in the Community Garden, Hermitage Park, Helensburgh.

These have appeared relatively recently. I'm assuming dormant and not merely discarded because they're chained up but I'm having a hard time figuring out what they're doing there unless they belong to the contractors who until recently were digging up bits of the park to lay new drainage/electrical supplies etc.

Dan S likes this.
  16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Lounging in a proper long-dog style.

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Another photo of someone sleeping. I wonder how many we'll get?:)

[​IMG]sleeping by Nigel G, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

pavillion.jpg
    3rd January 2020
    If you build it, they will come. Well, maybe once the carpark is finished.

19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

primulas.jpg

3rd January 2020, Hermitage Park, Helensburgh

If we take 'dormant' to signify a pause, a gathering up of energies, waiting to spring into action...this looks like it has been waiting for quite some time!

Zou and Dan S like this.
  20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A5464.jpg

3rd January 2020

The Logie Baird. The business apparently couldn't be sustained without allowing punters of all stages of inebriation to guzzle as much as they possibly could until 2am three nights a week, before chucking them out to fight in the streets. When their licence went up for review, the police took along evidence of the various arrests and injuries and complaints and the bar was given an 11pm curfiew and told to close at 1am instead. This went on for about three weeks and the punters tooks themselves off elsewhere and the pub shut. On the one hand, I'm sorry to see a pub close, because people have lost their jobs and it's another building lying empty. On the other hand, this pub is my immediate neighbour and I do much prefer not walking out of my flat to find broken glass and fag ends in the close and it's nice to know that there are fewer people using our garden as a loo.

The pub is now up for sale. If I won the lottery (unlikely as I never buy a ticket) I would buy it and convert it into a gallery/cafe/studio/darkroom/teaching resource. The commute alone would make it worth it!

Zou and Dan S like this.