1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Formatting, like watching paint dry

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Stephen Rundle, May 24, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

cf.jpg

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Yup, I went to format a card in the computer the other week....... 32GB SD card, and I did a "full" format. Time to make a cup of tea whilst it was in progress.......

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

To take your mind off of the formatting - try a full system scan with the anti-virus. Formatting will soon seem interesting again.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

What's with this formatting in the computer? I format my cards in the camera, doesn't take very long at all.

Zou, Gezza and MJB like this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Quick format doesn't - it just wipes the file allocation table, doesn't do a read/write test. Only one of my cameras has the option for full format of SD cards.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'd had a card issue so I did a full re-format in the PC, then back into the camera where I formatted it again. Issue resolved

7. Stephen Rundle

I don't want quick format, Quick format option, the format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors

In fact the Canon 60D also offered a "low level format" which I miss

Finally

Full format will clear files completely from the partition, rebuild the file system, volume label, and cluster size, and scan partition for logical bad sectors (that's why full format is slower than quick format). It is the real formatting and that's why some people are afraid of it.

I loved Fdisk

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Currently copying 850GB from my server to this spare disk across WiFi. Why didn't I plug it into the server?

Errr... seemed like a good idea at the time?

Orange disk drive and MacBook pro TZ70 P1030632.JPG

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock

10. Andrew Flannigan

...only has three more years worth of data to go... zzz zzzz zzzzz

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

But if you had paint drying, would you sit and watch it?
    Just wait until a time when you don't need to use the hardware, and do it then.
    Force yourself to leave the room, leave it running and do something else for a while (a meal works well for me when I do a full system scan of my PC with Norton Antivirus).

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Christ, you must live well....:rolleyes:;)

13. Chester AP

Alas not, but the scan now takes about an hour. Also, when I backup all my documents and images to an external hard disc, this now takes about 2 hours so again I pick a convenient time. Ditto Windows Updates, since some take a few minutes and some much longer.

14. Stephen Rundle

I had 15 to do so had to sit there :( and swap when needed

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I may have mentioned him before, but I worked with a guy whose first job out of Uni (degree in chemistry) was at a paint research place, monitoring paint as it dried in the conditions it was designed for - mainly outdoors. He said it was marginally more interesting than you'd think...

16. Andrew Flannigan

For those who want to know more about the joys of watching paint dry: "Valhalla" by Tom Holt (ISBN: 1841490423). I found it more a gentle chortle than a belly laugh.

17. Chester AP

Some things become more interesting when one is being paid to do them.

18. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I always format in camera, never with a computer. No issues ever.