1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Ford Kuga engine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I have just learned something new, the engine in new hybrid cars (many I believe ) are a ........... Atikinson cycle engine

The 2.5 litre engine is an Atikinson cycle engine 2.5 ltr and only 110 bhp !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Hah! If you think that's unusual, I would recommend you try and get a copy of LJK Setright's 'Some unusual engines'! Sadly no longer in print and a collectable, (£70+!) this 1970's book also contains some superb 3D technical-drawings, probably hasn't been surpassed by any other motoring journalist covering this subject. Here's a review:
    http://speedreaders.info/12555-unusual-engines/

If you relish books like this, you will not be disappointed by its content, and secondhand copies of this book are listed here:
    https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780852982082/Unusual-Engines-Setright-0852982089/plp

3. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

There was me thinking the cycle was a motorcycle engine in a car, remember the old post war three wheelers?

4. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Nice to see someone else who uses AbeBooks

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can't help wondering what a reprofiled inlet camshaft would do for the power output?

6. Stephen Rundle

Been using them for years

ascu75 likes this.
  7. Footloose

I often use them and the Barter bookshop at Alnwick, but in this case, I bought this new, back in the 80s - due to the quality of LJKS's articles in Car magazine. I also had the pleasure of talking to him, whilst he was visiting Castrol's R&D dept, near Whitchurch.

ascu75 likes this.
  8. Footloose

The Barter bookshop at Alnwick - a great place to go 'mooching' around!

AlnwickStationBookshop.jpg

ascu75 likes this.
  9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I used to have two of Setright's books on motorcycles. but have no idea where they might be now.

10. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I had a 2 stroke 250cc single putting out 68 bhp! (a lot of maintenance and servicing!)

“only 110 bhp”

it’s one of the limitations of the complicated Atkinson design.

no doubt the engine can run much more, but at a cost of reliability and much shorter maintenance intervals.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

VW use another variation of Otto in which the inlet valve closes early. These engines are not about extra power but extra efficiency. You limit the amount of air (not mixture) entering the cylinder; they work best with direct fuel injection. The engines are heavy for their power output and therefore are at their best in hybrid machines where kinetic energy is recovered while braking.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Are you familiar with Freevalve? Koenigsegg developed it and the most recent engine I'm aware of is a 3 cylinder, 2 litre which produces 600hp and about the same in Nm.

The Swedes know how to do things properly ;).

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A nice toy but it isn't going to have a big market at over $1,000,000

14. Stephen Rundle

When the Kuga arrives I will miss the Grand Scenics space

Image1_edited-12.jpg

ascu75 likes this.