1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those in doubt

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Brian, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

2. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I'm with you all the way Brian, even my ancient 5s keeps on giving great pictures in the right conditions. It is only my short Northern arms that have stopped me from up dating it ;)

peterba likes this.
  3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

These are great images.
    However there is nothing about them that says that they could only have been taken on a phone.
    The eye and the skill belong to the photographer.
    The Phone has proved its worth and joined their ranks as a suitable creative tool to use.

Andrew Flannigan and zx9r like this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Some stunning images there, thanks Brian.

For me this simply shows that the phone camera is a useful tool and is every bit as capable, in the right hands, as any other camera. It is quite clear why it has almost completely displaced the compact camera.
    It was always the case that the vast majority of images were captured on compact cameras and only the truly dedicated carried anything else. I don't think that has changed. What has changed is that almost everybody now carries a camera where previously they probably wouldn't have bothered. My only complaint is that far too many people forget that the phone can be rotated through 90 degrees to obtain landscape format.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Geoff, I am a die hard convert to using the phone. In the last year I have bought two Leica, a Q and a Q2 Monochrom to supplement my Fuji X Pro2 with its rake of primes. In this time I have also bought an iPhone 11. I have used the Q for about a dozen shots, the Q2 Mono hasn't seen the light of day, same with the Fuji. I now choose the phone is my main photographic tool. It's so easy and fun. It also is quite capable of producing great prints at A3+.

And funnily enough 99% of my snaps are in landscape format. I have an aversion to portrait style. :) I don't take many photographs but quickly looking through my Flickr account shows 90% of those I have posted in the last six months were taken on the phone.

Quite honestly I think the latest phone technology makes cameras seem Stone Age.

And yes I have feelers out in Japan to buy the new Leica phone when it is available.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I agree with you in many respects Brian, if camera manufacturers had put as much R and D into their products as the phone manufacturers put into their cameras things might be different. I say might because the thing that makes the phone camera what it is just happens to be the phone. People carry phones but wouldn't carry a camera in addition.

Unfortunately many younger users have yet to discover landscape format, You use landscape 99% of the time, I would have expect no less from you as a seasoned photographer and I am sure you years of experience have helped greatly. I use my iPhone for all sorts of photographs and the occasional video, my Nikon 1 rarely leaves the house but the D4 bodies get regular outings. Not that the iPhone isn't capable but because I want to use a long telephoto zoom or a wide angle, however your iPhone 11 is superior to mine in terms of the camera so I am probably missing out in that respect.

If it works for you don't let anyone discourage you.

7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I use mine in square format quite a lot, I can only think is is reminiscent time spent using the Yashica Mat or Rolleiflex years ago.