1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For die-hard dabblers only.....

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by taxor, Jan 18, 2007.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Following a thread from another site, I decided to make some 'Parodinal'. I'm not sure who to attribute the original recipe to (obviously someone much wiser in the ways of chemistry than myself). It is a Rodinal type developer made from 'everyday household' ingredients, i.e. Paracetamol tablets, caustic soda and sodium sulphite. I initially had severe doubts about its efficacy but, blimus, it works! And pretty good it is too, although some tweaking of dev times/dilutions is going to be needed. Now this thread might be considered by some to belong in the 'TOTALLY ARCANE & POINTLESS' section of this forum and, if the photographic chemical industry had a rosy future, I would agree. But, nothing is that certain and, if the worst happens and you can no longer get your favourite brew (for whatever reason), you've always got this simple formula to fall back on. Now all I need is some easy way to coat my own rollfilm :rolleyes:
    Parodinal: 50ml water
    3g acetaminophen (6 paracetamol tablets, 500mg, crushed)
    4g sodium hydroxide (caustic soda)
    10g sodium sulphite anhy.

Leave for at least 72 hours before use. Use Rodinal times/dilutions as a guide.

2. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Oops! There are 6 guys in court for mixing a home brew, don't get yourself caught up in owt suspect. Stuff made from readily available household products they said. Hmmmm.

No seriously though, making developers can be a way to total independance. I have one friend who INSISTS on mixing his own brand of RA4 colour developer. Pretty good it is too, his Nova processor has a lot less tar than produced by my Tetenal RA4 brew.

3. nickc

nickc Active Member

Re: For die-hard dabblers only.....

As a small technical aside, this is apparently not a 'rodinal type' developer, but the same formulation of active ingredients - the 'real thing' is more exact in its formulation, where this one includes an excess of the raw materials and includes preservatives - or so it is thought. See the digital truth (aka massive dev chart) site for more info.

I am very happy with the negatives I have produced with it!

Nick

4. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

When I was an impecunious youth some 40+ or so years ago I chanced upon a developer called 'BEUTLERS'
    I had it made up by a local manufacturing chemists on Tyneside. I think it cost me something like 2 shillings for a litre of 'A' and a litre of 'B'. (10p in modern mickey mouse money). You made this up to working solution by mixing 1 part 'A' and 1 part 'B' + 10 parts water. I would love to have this formula again because it made the most perfect graded negatives I have ever done, and just like Rodinal it never went 'off' Any one have ideas.

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

John,

As Nick pointed out most things development-wise for monochrome can be found on the http://www.digitaltruth.com/ and for the 'recipe' for beutlers it can be found There

6. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Yes, problems might indeed arise. Sodium hydroxide, hydrogen peroxide..... it's easy to see how some people might get confused.

7. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Nick, you caught me out; my weasel words masking my technical illiteracy! You're right though, it does produce good negs. Regards, Taxor

8. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

John, There is a formula for 'Beutler's High-Definition Developer 105'in Anchells 'Darkroom cookbook'. If you want the recipe, let me know. I think there is also a recipe for it in Rayco's formula book.

9. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have always been keen on 'mixing my own' ever since the Chemistry Master at East Ham Grammar school showed us in the school Photographic Society. I have a good stock of chemicals, mostly well over 30 years old but they still WORK ! I used to mix Beutler too, with Ilford Pan F film. When I got to be a photographer with the Ministry of Aviation ( On £7-15-0d a week )they used one of my shots of a Lightning Fighter taken at Farnborough in preference to one taken by the 'Official Photographer' and enlarged it up to table-top size, from a PanF/Beutler neg on my old Contax III camera.