1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Jun 28, 2016.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

To all those English football supporters who are hurting this morning, can I just say that no-one in Scotland is gloating. We feel your pain.

After all, we were knocked out by the Faroe Islands.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It was a hell of a night to be in Reykjavik! I reckon there's some human flotsam in the gutters this morning, there was quite a party going on even before the match, and must have been at least 10000 people watching where we were on the big screen. Afram Island!

Adrian Adrianson

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Well to say I'm gutted is an understatement.

Not simply because England lost. That really doesn't bother me. As Alan Shearer said, it was the worst England performance he'd ever seen (and there's been plenty of them to choose from).

What's disappointed me is that I'm going to Chamonix in the French Alps tomorrow, and I was looking forward to sitting in a small French bar watching France vs England.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Now you can watch without a shred of anxiety and simply rejoice if they stuff the French too....as they well might. Remember when Denmark didn't qualify, came in as a sub and won it? Wales Iceland final will do me fine.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Go climbing. That's the reason to go to Chamonix in Summer.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

On the plus side, Scotland haven't conceded a single goal in an international tournament since 1998! :rolleyes:

7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Ah but remember Archie Gemmel got goal of the tournament in an otherwise embarrassing outing, which as we all know is just about as good as winning the World Cup :p

Actually I'm genuinely sorry that England are out. My daughter is English and she was really excited so I was hoping they'd do really well.

But lets not do that thing where we blame it all on England underperforming. It was a great result for Iceland.

Zou likes this.
  8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

England could well have something to celebrate in Paris towards the end of next month. :)

9. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

This is maybe worth a listen

DaveM399 and Zou like this.
  10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Bobby Charlton was asked how he thought the England team of '66 would have fared against Iceland. " I think we'd have won 1-0 " he replied. "Only 1-0?" Said the reporter. "Yes," said Bobby. "Most of us are in our 70's now!"

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.