1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football Photography

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Ryan Foulkes, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Hi all, hope you're keeping safe during this difficult time.

I'm a new budding photographer just starting off, currently i have a Nikon Coolpix P1000, so far i have been capturing mostly aviation and i am thinking of upgrading to a dslr to start up with football photography to get higher quality images. Just wondering what cameras/lenses you recommend for this? I have recently been made redundant so i would be looking to be able to take photography further and eventually the aim is to do it for a living. Price range would be around £500 or below.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ryan

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I’m no expert
    My only experience is over the past 5yrs photographing my sons football matches
    I started out with a 20yr old canon 100-300 usm F4.5-5.6
    As I no longer had a body I bought a used canon 5d 12.8mp
    That was it! I used that for 18mths until I upgraded to a used canon 7d 18mp.
    Later I upgraded the lens and only very recently have I upgraded my camera body.
    In all honesty I would happily pick up the old 5d Mk1 and 100-300 usm and use it for football. Yes, my current set up is much more refined BUT back then I made do with what I could afford and the images I got are still good enough for me.
    The biggest difference as I’m sure you know between compact and dslr is shutter lag.
    Just remembered I did cover a entire football match using the Panasonic lumix tz70 admittedly it was used as a video camera...but it exceeded my expectations by a huge margin.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I recently bought a second hand mint canon 7D for half your budget. In my humble opinion the 7D is the king of the affordably DSLR s for sports. Others more knowledgeable than I will give you advice as to lenses and a lot will depend on how close to the action you can get, but at least consider the Canon f 1.8 50mm prime new you could get that for £100

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Mark 1 or Mark 2?

5. RogerMac

Mark 1

6. pixelpuffin

I still have my 7d Mk1
    I’m reluctant to let go, it’s a superb sports camera. After 3yrs use come rain or shine, mine still works flawlessly and is still in super condition.

just to add, a used 7d with 55-250 is stm would be a formidable sports set up. The older 100-300 usm served me well but it was designed for older anologue cameras and worked very well with my old 5d (full frame) whereas the ef-s 55-250 is stm is specifically designed for aps-c format so would be a better lens on the 7d

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Stephen Rundle likes this.
  7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

A secondhand DSLR is a good way of meeting a tight budget - then you need to decide how close you are going to get, and what lens fits that. There's a thread about sports photography in Talking Pictures that links to a Dutch chap - Hans Van Der Meer? - who has done a lot of small club photography with what I suspect is a 50mm lens, but if you want to get up close to the action you'll need something longer. I suspect a variable zoom like Pixelpuffin's 100-300 is the right sort of area - my field is cricket and I use a longer (and manual focus) prime lens, so I can't help with that, sorry!

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’d use the P1000 that you have and analyse the results to see what effective focal lengths you are using to get the type of shots that you want. DSLRs are limited to an effective focal length of about 450 mm (a 300 mm lens on a x1.5 crop APS-C) if you have a low budget. If you find you are using it at the far end of the zoom (3000 mm equivalent) then you can’t reproduce that on a larger format and I’m not surprised results are a bit iffy.

9. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Many like me who do, do it as a living (NUJ press card holder, accredited and work with magazines, see many people who want to "start work" in photography.

Now, have you listed the following

1. Public liability insurance
    2. Public Indemnity insurance
    3. Inform your car insurance company that you will now be using your car for business or if you have an accident to or from an event you are not covered
    3. You will have a camera with DUAL card slots using one as backup ?
    4. How will you be accessing events, I can assure you that you will only have access to small local events with no accreditation
    5. 99.99% of events will not admit you without a letter/accreditation from a magazine editor etc. You will be "in the crowd"
    6. Who will your work be for, the people who are on the pitch or magazines/newspapers who have their own photographers (like me sorry)
    7. £500, well many will say it can be done, I say in reality good luck. Dual slot body, at least one good 70-300 lens, multiple cards, a GOOD printer, consumables, spare batteries, flash, tripod/monopod, not forgetting the INSURANCE, travel costs, business cards
    8. TWO camera bodies, for when one packs up
    9. Buy pre owned from a reputable seller such as LCE who offer guarantees not ebay

BUT I DO seriously hope you make it, do NOT give up. I never did.

I started by shooting Motor cross (by the way I have 100% NO interest in cars/motorbikes etc at all, it is the photography I enjoy), I sent a dozen magazines images and started with Classic Cars, but I have never done it for a living, always the fun, there are cut throat photographers out there who do it for a living and have decades of experience, so, the question is "What can you offer that a 10 year photographer with £15k of gear can not ?"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  10. Stephen Rundle

11. RogerMac

Dual slots? When I was young the advice was a second camera!

12. Stephen Rundle

Dsc_8579.jpg
    But a 50mm is useless for sports such as he wants to do, a 70-300 covering portraits to sports is better

D7000 with Canon 70-300, from the first year I started, shots like this were got me into magazines, riders LOVE to show off, BUT again I was trackside

13. Stephen Rundle

Any photographer working............... would never have just one camera and both would have dual cf/sd card slots

14. pixelpuffin

I did a stint as a press photographer back in the late 90’s
    Lol, dual slots, 2nd camera!!
    I and fellow photographers were using Olympus OM, I did buy a eos1n and fast zooms. No 2nd camera tho’ and just half a dozen rolls of film too. Obviously it was a different world back then....very different.

15. Stephen Rundle

Yes but.................... sorry, cameras were reliable, and took a battering, as did my Nikkormats and Nikon F Photomic FTN, I never lost a film, but I have lost CF and SD cards to faults

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

There's no one way.
    There's no 'proper photographers do x'
    There's no 'you're not a proper photographer if you don't do y'

There are things which reduce risk, there are things which mitigate problems, there are things people have learned, but there's no 'any photographer working ....'

Craig20264 likes this.
  17. Stephen Rundle

To a degree I agree but I have seen so called professional wedding photographers and journalists taking photographs outside with a stofen !!!!

18. pixelpuffin

you mean a flash diffuser??

implying???

19. Stephen Rundle

20. pixelpuffin

I think you need to blow us all away with your masterpieces. It’s easy to criticise others.

it’s ironic that you now want to preach to us, yet a week ago you were discussing wandering around with a right angle spy lens!!
    For REAL!!
    Get over yourself.

EightBitTony likes this.