1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football Photography, aviation photography

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Ryan Foulkes, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Hi all,

I am a new budding photographer and have fallen in love with it! So far i have only been able to take aviation and scenery photography due to lockdown. My aim is to move into sports photography, mainly football. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks, hope to talk to you soon.

Ryan

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Ryan.

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  3. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Thanks very much. Hope you are well

4. byteme90k

byteme90k Member

Ryan - i shoot soccer games. Love getting those shots and the athletes like to see them as well...have fun with it!

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome along Ryan. Sports Photography eh? How big is your wallet? :);)

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Ryan, I look forward to seeing some pictures. There are several sections for general advice. If in doubt post in "beginners" but you'll soon figure it out. Comments on pictures is best done through the Appraisal section.

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

There's a thread running on sports photography in Talking Pictures at the mo - have a look in there (especially the links to the Dutch chap, Hans Van der Meer I think), and feel free to join in. It's been a bit of a me and cricket benefit so far, different sports would be good to see.

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  8. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Right.

1. It depends on what you want to achieve.
    2. It depends on what you want to spend.
    3. It depends on the sports you want to shoot.
    4. It depends on will it be a business ?

If it is a hobby then go to as many sporting events as possible, watch other "photographers" especially the ones at the front who are from magazines etc, approach them later they are mostly very good.

If it is a hobby then as little or as much as you want

Three and 4 go hand in hand. I started off shooting local motocross with a D7000 and 28-300 Nikkor, my last spend on gear was £17k and I was shooting for a magazine.

This means accredited press cards NOT passes, a press card is say from the NUJ, and you can only get that if you are a working photographer with a magazine or similar where an editor will vouch for you at an event to get the press PASS. Then you need a camera with TWO card slots for backup, public liability AND indemnity insurance and so on and so on and so on. Which I have.

PMd you

9. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Brilliant, thanks for the information. The aim is to try and set up a small business as work are looking at giving us grants and paying for training as we are being made redundant. I have found a few D7000's relatively cheaply and I'm thinking of starting off with that and see how it goes? I would be taking local football mainly, to begin with and hopefully work my way up in some sort. Im very happy to start from the bottom and learn from the experienced people like yourself. Thats brilliant, well done! Hope i reach that level one day . Thanks for your help

10. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Great, thank you! I will take a look now

11. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Haha good question! Ive been recommended to get the Nikon D7000 and a Nikkor 80-200mm f.2.8 lense. Would i also need another lense i.e a 50mm fixed lense for day to day photos? Or would a 80mm suffice? Thanks.

12. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

I have purchased the D7000 for a £179, shutter count of 2,000. Im quite happy with that

13. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You have a good camera in the D7000. I feel with your budget you have chosen wisely. The glass is more important than the camera these days There are togs on here that will be able to advise you on decent quality lenses without breaking the bank. As far as focal length goes, well that all depends on how close you plan to be to the action.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The most efficient way of buying new lenses is to wait until you find a situation where you need the focal length. Buying in case you "might" need it risks wasting money. A good focal length range for day-to-day photography is, on a full frame camera (I dunno what the D7000 is), a zoom with 24 mm at the wide end and somewhere around 100 mm at the long end. To my mind primes are a decision to be made if you specifically want the focal length, their main advantage is they tend to have a wider aperture than the equivalent zoom and be a bit sharper, though with modern lenses at the upper end of the market the zooms perform very well.

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  15. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Welcome... the D7000 is a good staring point. 70-200 or 80-200 f/2.8 lenses seem to be the "staple diet" of many sports photographers but if you branch out into 3rd party lenses, be careful with Sigma since some of their older lenses need a firmware update to be able to auto-focus correctly with some Nikon bodies (for the person who asked, the D7000 is APS-C).

Get to know your camera and be sure to explore all menu options. Most Nikons are set up to shoot quite "soft" as default and you may want to increase the sharpness setting a little.
    Above all, shoot plenty and have fun as you learn

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  16. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Thanks very much for your advice! I can't wait to get it and start shooting!

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Let us know how you get on with the D7000 - when my D200 finally gives up the ghost that's what I intend to replace it with, as it will meter with my legacy lenses.

I'd fairly strongly recommend getting one of these: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/10364864-magic-lantern-guides

I think it's the same author as my D200 one and, despite a somewhat unhelpful index, I found it so much more helpful than the factory manual it wasn't true.

18. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

19. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Thanks very much, ill will buy that now. Thanks