1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus peaking

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Alphonso, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

Hi .

I am thinking of buying a Sony A 7Mk 11..... I read something about focus peaking is this a good or bad.?

I would like someone to explain it.

Alphonso.

2. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Google "focus peaking".
    It is explained in numerous references.
    It is even an item in Wikipedia.

3. Alphonso

Many thanks for the info I will look it up
    Alphonso

4. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I have the function on my Fuji X-T1 and have found it to be an excellent aid in determining focus manually.

If using older, third party lenses on the Sony A7 it would be very useful I would think.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is a facility to make manual focussing easier.

6. Alphonso

Thank you one and all . yes it is worth looking up on the Web It explains everything.

It is put there on the camera to assist Focusing . I understand now how it works.

May the light be with you.

Alphonso

7. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I have a Sony A7 and focus peaking works well.

While you are Googling you might like to look up Zebra (photographic not zoological) which the A7 also has. It's sometime a useful feature.

8. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Sounds like another one of those "new" obscure terms for a focusing aid. Who thinks these things up?

9. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

Focus peaking is a live view display mode that detects and highlights high contrast edges in a specific colour (for example red, white or yellow). In effect this means that it highlights in-focus regions, as a handy aid for manual focus. Typically it's used for such things as focusing adapted manual lenses, or pulling focus from one subject to another during video recording.

You get to choose various settings - highlight colour and width, and 'Peaking Level', which is effectively a contrast threshold. The latter can be useful when working with different lenses - you might need to set it to Low when working with a low-contrast old manual focus lens, but High with a super-sharp modern lens such as one of Sony's FE-mount primes.

Personally I find that peaking can be very useful, but for really critical focusing, magnified live view is more accurate.

10. Roy5051

I rest my case:)

11. TimHeath

I like the way you embrace innovation! :D

12. Roy5051

What is innovating about using a new word to describe an old function? It just confuses the issue.:confused:

13. TimHeath

I'm sorry, what was the old function called?

14. Roy5051

Focus aid when manual focusing, using a split image screen (which unfortunately went by the wayside when AF came in.

Not that I ever use manual focus these days; auto-focus and depth of field usually get my pictures sharp enough. I can see, though, where manual focus may still be useful, for example in macro shooting, where a focus aid may be useful. But why call it focus peaking?

15. TimHeath

Because it's quite different to the old split prism focusing screen.

'Focus peaking' is a function added to a live-view screen as mentioned previously in this thread. When FP is switched on the entire frame is displayed where the elements in focus are clearly highlighted. Not only can you see what is in focus or not, you can judge how much, all electronically.

That's significantly different than a split image in the centre of a viewfinder I would think. They are both focusing aids but achieve the same objectives quite differently, hence the name I imagine.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Quite, it is a different way to do it and is named to differentiate it.

I wouldn't be without it, but agree that good magnification is essential for critical focusing, when shooting at f1.4 for example. Magnification plus peaking is a superb combination.

17. Alphonso

Well that seems to have answered my query. Thanks again one and all.
    Keep snapping

Alphonso

18. ohms12

ohms12 New Member

...Just don't rely on it! I've assigned the C1 button on the A7 to focus magnification. Peaking can make you think something is truly sharp, but when you punch that magnify button it's not. I've had much sharper shots since doing this - better than autofocus for sure.

19. art

art Well-Known Member

'Focus peaking' is a specific form of 'focusing aid' - where's the confusion in that?

Simple stating that something has a 'focusing aid' would beg the question 'what sort of focusing aid', for which 'focus peaking' might be the answer.

It's a bit like stating you have a 'camera' without further clarification of what sort of camera.