1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus blending on new Fuji X T30

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Terrywoodenpic, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

There seems to be no need to lock exposure between the shots, It seems to do it itself as part of the process.

Though perhaps like when taking panoramas it is best to lock an optimal exposure from some part of the scene other than the first focus point. I must try it, to see if it makes a difference. After all it only requires a press of the AEL button.

The next requirement would be taking images for focus and exposure fusion combined. TuFuse can process the images produced automatically, but I am not sure that any camera can yet take them automatically. PTAssembler and PTGui can process both automatically, at the same time as creating a panorama But that is a heck of a lot of exposures for even a simple pan.
    I have done exposure fusion when making a pan, but not all three including focus. I fear that I would lose my way, unless it were automated.

I have seen an example of this done by Max Lyons, the author of PTAssembler. (Which I use for processing all my pans)

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

When you get really maniacal you could do what I tried - exposure bracketing and focus stacking on a two by six panorama. The reason for attempting this was that the only lens I have 'flat' enough for a good panorama is my 50mm/f:1.4. The dynamic range was large enough that blending was in order, and fortunately the mass of poppies and yellow(?) flowers in the foreground all fitted into the lower rank of the panorama.

The difficulty was deciding what to process first. I chose to do focus stacking first to reduce the workload to 20% - five shots each in each focus stack. The exposure bracketing was also five shots at two thirds difference, but I figured I should do the pano first, so I produced five different panoramas, using the excellent Microsoft Labs freebie, Image Composite Editor, which is pretty fast.

The whole thing pretty much fell apart when I then stacked those five panoramas to do the HDR bit. MS ICE seems to make minor exposure adjustments to get frames matching each other, which didn't help my DXO stacking software much. Also, I have a pretty fast laptop - a top of the range HP gaming jobbie (though I don't game) with a 3.5 GHZ Intel Core 7, 32 GB of RAM and a 1 terabyte SSD as the C: drive, with a swap space of 200 GB allocated for this exercise. I started it, and went for a cup of tea … and then an evening G&T … and then dinner … and then went to bed.

The next morning, the machine had hung and I think the job was just too large for the software to cope with. In the end I did get a result, but only after I had downsized the panos by 50% on each side - so I just might as well have used my other, but not so good, pano lens, a 24mm/f:2.8.

Ah well - c'est la vie!

Terrywoodenpic likes this.