1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

flower

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by monkeys bunny, Jun 16, 2011.

1. monkeys bunny

monkeys bunny Well-Known Member

as last one, this is my first slr so please make any comments like 'picture taking for dummies'. thank you
    [​IMG]

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well it is a decent snap. Not close enough to be considered a real photographic record of the plant and with no real creative intent in it. The background is confusing and although soft, not really soft enough. It does not look like you have real control of the camera, or a clear impression of what you are trying to do, other than the kind of snap you could take with anything. I would say come in closer and with a wider aperture to really lose the background.

3. monkeys bunny

monkeys bunny Well-Known Member

Thank you, this is what i needed really a shove in the right direction.

you are right, i have no idea what im doing and intend to take a basic course but it does not start until September so i wanted to get a feel for the camera but ask so that i have a better under standing of what im doing wrong.

thank you again

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Honestly it is a long (but interesting) journey. By all means practice and get control of your camera and get a book for some basics. Many courses assume some knowledge because it becomes a big drag for those who know all about the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO if they are having to start that far back.
    Then just look at the pics on here and get to be able to predict the points that are going to be made. Ideally join a club too. They are usually a fast-track way to improvement.

5. hil26

hil26 Well-Known Member

Think Mike has just about covered it.
    Background too cluttered, open up the aperture and lose the background (means getting to grips with manual exposure).
    Not close enough - flowers are lost - crop the image to the difference.
    Some would also argue you need a third flower.

Have fun, big learning curve ahead, but well worth it.