1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing at Gigs

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Here ya go, Tony, not Try-X at 1600 ASA, but, either HP5 pushed to 1600 or Tmax 3200 ;)

1991-AP-YWG-George_T-Elvin_Bishop.jpg 198?-9?-OtisRush_BrentParkin-Ab copy.jpg 1991-AP-YWG-WintonMarsalis copy.jpg AP-MotoCross-86-img267.jpg AP-NHL-90's-YVR-YEG-img266.jpg

Cheers,
    Jack

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Silver Grains have sharp edges and the result is gritty. Digital noise is just noise. Grittiness is appropriate for some subjects. Noise is appropriate for no subjects.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

That's just nostalgia speaking. No one would choose grain for anything other than an artistic purpose. Also, quite frankly, the noise on the 6D is pretty similar to some of the grain above, especially once converted to black and white.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

No offence to Jack but I would rather have noise than the grain shown above.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

7D2 noise is ugly. 6D noise is not as ugly. :)

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am ok with 7Dii noise if suitably processed. With lowish ISO it is not even a factor, much better than the 7D. My 5DIII has decent noise control, but the 6D is supposed to be better, however my photography is different to yours. Newer cameras are probably better but I am ok with my current kit.

7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

As a confirmed film user, noise is what neighbours generate when drilling holes for shelving and wall cupboards......................................

Years ago I had a boss who was a keen photographer and one year photographed the company's christmas party using ISO 3200 slide film. The results were good.

Going even further back (early 1970s) I remember somebody with a Pentax taking photos at Uttoxeter Folk Club. No flash, only candle lighting but the results he showed us were certainly acceptable. I think he must have been using Tri-X or something similar. And no tripod...........

Lynn

8. Done_rundleCams

No offence taken, Baz, :) but, I've always found "digital noise" ugly and, IMVHO, I find the 'analogue grain' can, on occasion, add to a photo :eek: and,
    of course, can be detrimental to some photos ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Learning likes this.
  9. sam.spoons

sam.spoons Active Member

Another one here who thinks ambient light it the only way to shoot bands. Flash has it's uses but that is not one of them.

10. Done_rundleCams

Speaking of "flashing at gigs" .... here'a a few from last Sunday (Nov 17th), where no flash was used ;) .....
    Mono is done with Rollei 400 Retro film and Colour is from digital -- Pentax PZ1P w/ either a DA 21/3.2
    or DA 50-135/2.8 and Pentax K3 w/ the same lenses ;)
    Nov17-19-AP-Sun-000015 copy.JPG Nov17-19-AP-Sun-000010 copy.JPG Nov17-19-AP-Sun-000026 copy.JPG Nov17-19-AP-Sun-JSGP0517 copy.JPG Nov17-19-AP-Sun-JSGP0327 copy.JPG Nov17-19-AP-Sun-JSGP0300 copy.JPG Nov17-19-AP-Sun-JSGP0352 copy.JPG

Cheers,

Jack

11. EightBitTony

One of the things I missed at the Hockley Hustle was actual stage lighting. If you're going to shoot in low light, it's better if some of that light is at least an interesting colour :)

12. Done_rundleCams

That's true, Tony, :) and just as long as they limit the dreaded Red light :eek:

Cheers,
    Jack

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. EightBitTony

14. Done_rundleCams

Touche, Tony, touche, and, mind you, I've only got one "really" memorable red light scenario, albeit back in
    the late 80's :eek: and, I think, everyone's seen it:
    img573_600x.jpg

so, it was gotta go mono, albeit a different pic but the original was the same annoying red light :eek:

img576 copy.jpg

;)

Jack

EightBitTony likes this.