1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Flash kit and accessories

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Rasha, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

I've been always the natural/available light girl. Now since In started experimenting with food and product photography and with the lack of natural light I started using flash and a soft box, when I am shooting outside, I am using the flash off my camera and normally bouncing the light of the walls to make it softer and a diffuser/reflector kit. Now i am considering to buy some accessories that will help me get a similar effect to the soft box but much lighter like those:
    Diffuser (white gray card)
    Diffuser cap
    Soft box
    Note: I am not actually buying these, i am just illustrating the items I am considering
    What do you have, what do you recommend? I am also thinking of complimenting the kit with another TTL flash or do you think it's a good idea to start considering a strobe.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The thing about softboxes is that nothing else works quite like them, and further, the bigger they are, the better (as a general rule!).
    I actually use the first option for people shots at events or some location shots, and it does a much better job than the second option, but it's not all that good for product shots. For that sort of thing, I personally prefer studio flash and softboxes.

Rasha likes this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Rasha,

If you're going for electronic flash, two monobloc heads and a BIG soft box is the minimum you need for fully controlled food and product lighting. Expensive, but sadly true.

Cheers,

R.

Rasha likes this.