1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flash compatability

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by swanseadave, Apr 26, 2010.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Is there anywhere that lists a compatibility chart for Minolta flashes?I`ve looked on Dyxum and Photoclubalpha but no joy.
    There seem to be loads on ebay but it`s no good buying blind.
    EG:the program 2800 appears to be only compatible with early Dynax cameras.

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Dave,

Michael Hohners site should help

List of Flashes

And Flash Set-ups

If you can't get the info you are looking for there, let me know what you are specifically looking for and I'll check through the flash compatibility chart in my Minolta Dynax system accessories booklet for you

3. swanseadave

Thank you for those links Ron.I`ll have a browse when time permits and get back to you if necessary.

Cheers :D

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Slightly OT and just referring to Sony and Minolta dSLRs as I see so many sellers trying to pass off old Minolta guns as working with Sony when what they mean is the thing will fire - at full power - and that's all.

The only Minolta flashguns that are fully compatible with Minolta digital dSLRs and all Sony dSLRs are:

5600HS D
    3600HS D
    2500 D

Plus some configuration of the Macro Flash

Note the D

No other Minolta guns will work other than at full power.

Here is the full Sony compatibility chart.

5. swanseadave

By coincidence Roger I`ve just downloaded the manual for my camera which gives that,and was just about to post the info.
    The problem now seems to be availability since none are listed on ebay.Maybe I`ll have to trawl around some dealers` S/H stock.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to help.I appreciate it.

6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Have you considered using a Metz 3000 series flashgun? I have a Metz 32 MZ-3, fitted with a 300D spacer, and SCA 333/2 AF m2 adapter. This works for all Minoltas except the first generation of AF cameras (7000, 9000 etc), in TTL auto mode (no ADI for 7 and later models), but with fill-in functionality. The adapter includes an AF light, which is great if the camera doesn't have one. Also flash auto-zoom doesn't work. However, there is a 3000 series adapter that will give ADI and auto-zoom (but no AF assist light).

I would suggest going to www.ebay.de and searching for 'Metz'. If you go for a 3000 series flashgun which has an AF assist light, and a late (series 6 or 7) 3000 adapter, you will have all the functionality of a dedicated Minolta gun - for a lot less money!

7. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Roger - are you quite sure?

All of my guns have a 'manual mode' and in that mode I can set the power output (manually of course)and have the camera fire at a reduced output. The camera obviously doesn't control the gun and exposure is completely manual.

I could check of course but I don't have the time right now.

MickLL

8. swanseadave

Roger I appreciate all your help in this matter.I have found some of these guns on other ebay sites,where I can read the language, but they are expensive.Also the same compatibility problem arises with 3rd party units.

I should add I know little about these flashes.The last one I bought had a single contact!!for use on my now redundant Fujica cameras.
    Maybe I should avoid this minefield. :eek: :eek: :D :D

9. swanseadave

Thank you for that :DI appreciate it.
    If I can find a combination that`s fully functional for less than Minolta guns I`d be happy to do so.I saw a 5600HS(D)on ebay france @200 euros.Silly money IMO.
    I`ll follow up on your Metz recommendation.I don`t see the point of a gun that`s not fully functional.

10. Roger_Provins

I suppose I should have said "the power the gun is set for". If the gun can restrict itself to a certain power level then that's what you'll get but no camera management. In other words all the camera will do is make the flash fire. Some guns have an "auto" setting so the gun will manage the light output (crudely) - this should work of course, and with a little luck may be okay.

11. Roger_Provins

Jessops have a gun that's Sony/Minolta dSLR compatible.

£79

12. SqueamishOssifrage

A clarification of my original post - the 32 MZ-3 with the SCA 3302 (M6, 7 or 8) adapter does NOT support ADI, just TTL. For ADI you will need a 45 or 54 gun, which will push the price up. :(

Full details can be found here.

13. swanseadave

That one is well worth considering Roger.I have another option if it works out:a 3600HS(D) on ebay.de,at the moment 16 euros but 5 people are bidding.I`m watching it and may put a bid in at the last minute if it doesn`t go too high which tends to happen on ebay.Cost is a major issue for me.

Thank you for your time in researching for me. :D

14. swanseadave

A clarification of my original post - the 32 MZ-3 with the SCA 3302 (M6, 7 or 8) adapter does NOT support ADI, just TTL. For ADI you will need a 45 or 54 gun, which will push the price up.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for that and that useful link.At the moment
    only one of my lenses is `D`,so ADI is only relevant to that one.There`s so much to take in on this subject.It`s a minefield for me who`s only ever used old single contact guns.I knew of TTL flash before but not how complicated it can be finding a suitable gun.
    Thank you so much for your help.

15. SqueamishOssifrage

I have only a couple of ADI lenses, the main one being the Minolta 28-75mm, but as often as not, I still use just TTL. For me, the absolute 'must' with a flashgun is Slow sinc./flash fill. ADI only really comes into its own when the primary subject is significantly darker or lighter than the background, and some distance from it.

The other flash gun worth looking for is the Sigma EF-500 Super. I got one of these for €120 brand new (old stock). It will only work, to the best of my knowledge, with Dynax film and digital, and the first three Sony digitals (100, 200, & 700). It was then replaced by the 530 or 500 DG model (either of which will still do the full job). It has all the capabilities of the top two Minolta (D) models. It has auto zoom from 28 to 105mm, and a 17mm wide angle drop-down screen.

16. swanseadave

More food for thought.Thank you so much Lawrence. :)

17. swanseadave

That flash is now 21 euros(why is there no Euro symbol on my keyboard),with 7 bidders only one of whom has bid more than once.The auction ends this evening and with 7 after it,I fear it will go beyond my means,with SWMBO breathing down my neck wondering why I want to spend more money on photography :eek:

I expect common sense will prevail.There`s no way of knowing what max bid has been placed and it`s bound to be too much for me.
    ;) :D

18. swanseadave

:( Just as I thought.It`s now 46 euros with 8 bidders and 7 hrs to go.It`s a waste of time trying. :(

C`est la vie :D

19. swanseadave

Re: Flash update

I should add that today I had a "hands on" with this in jessops
    Following info in my other thread I am now dubious whether this is compatible.Are there any independent guns compatible with the 40 and 3L which can only use D flashes?
    This really is a complex business. :eek: :D :D

I am extremely grateful to all concerned for the help and suggestions that have been made.Also thanks to RonM and Lawrence for pointing me to Michael Hohner`s sites.They are very informative and now bookmarked.
    I`m sure you must all be thoroughly pi$$ed off with me by now.
    :D :D

20. swanseadave

Interestingly Lawrence,the Dynax40 nor the 3L are on Sigma`s compatibility chart for these flashes.The more I research the harder it gets.
    Thanks for your guidance in the other thread too. :D http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/flash/comp_dg_st.htm#04