1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First proper attempts at street photography.

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by knulp, Sep 28, 2015.

1. knulp

knulp Well-Known Member

Apologies for posting three pics here, I know the guideline is less is more but thought more in this case might be more representative of my efforts .... anyway I find the idea of street photography extremely daunting as I'm just a shy country boy at heart so I had to really go out of my comfort zone for these.
    Any advice or guidance for my future excursions into the city would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]DSCF9108.jpgc by blazingstarre, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCF9070c by blazingstarre, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCF9085v by blazingstarre, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Well done for getting out there. The more you do, the easier you'll find it.
    try to find a story or something of real interest to catch or portray. A character, lighting, a story or creative composition. Etc etc

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Street Photography is a rather broad and from recent postings in this section a seemingly not well defined genre.

I would regard these as candids rather than strictly street, they don't really convey enough for the latter to be applied.

4. knulp

knulp Well-Known Member

That's really helpful lfc and Nimbus. I'd not really thought about the difference between candid and street photography.

Maybe this one would count more as street? It's a messy image though and I feel the story or theme behind it is too vague but it still makes me chuckle.

[​IMG]Pigeon man. by blazingstarre, on Flickr

5. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

First one - sorry, three folks on bench only. Nothing interesting.

Second - the best one, I like it, nice eye contact, colours, great potential. As portrait, very nice, but as street photo, I want MUCH more context.

Third - same as second, not bad, needs much more context, for minus - some distractions and technicals like nose "touches" line; a lot of small reflections blurring background in not-so-nice way; it could be more crop on bottom maybe, to center head, etc.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Agree there is a woolly line there somewhere. These do look more candid to me, but found on the street. Hard to say how much context needed, but some for sure.

7. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I don't like any of these. The man with the accordian is vaguely interesting but no more.

Ask yourself what you want to show the viewer.

8. knulp

knulp Well-Known Member

Thanks aplenty for the further comments guys. Really helpful stuff.
    As to the question of what do I want to show the viewer? Hmmm probably nothing much at all really, its a challenge enough just plucking up the courage to walk up to a person and take the photo and achievement enough when it comes out in focus!
    My guess is that street photography is horrendously difficult to nail and requires some very quick thinking, a lot of time prowling the streets and a good dose of pure luck.
    I'd better get prowling!

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Keep trying and you could do worse than to look at lfc1982's output for an idea of what street can be.

Personally I don't do 'street' but I do occasionally do photography in the urban environment which possible means I get the odd shot that might qualify.

Judging by the discussions on this forum and what is out there on the net I suspect street is really a matter of ploughing your own furrow - or should that be walking your own road...:)

PS the old building in no.2 looks a bit like the Bargate, is it Southampton?

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Have a look at some acknowledged, really good 'Street' photography.

Don't just go out and mimic it but, instead, set out to create your own purpose & then get the photographs to meet your requirements. Keep refining, keep critiquing, keep editing out the weaker work. Good luck.

11. knulp

knulp Well-Known Member

@ EL_Sid, yep its Southampton.

Olybacker, love the photos of Elliot Erwitt and of course Cartier bresson.

Unfortunately, people, cities and crowds stress me, it's not my natural environment which is helpful considering that people and street photos are probably the ones I most admire :confused:

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Erwitt is one of my favourite photographers. Have a look at In Public for a selection of good contemporary street photographers.

I tend to avoid crowded scenes in street photography. I find that isolating individuals or small groups to be far more effective so try to pick out quieter areas of cities and town. The key is to know the streets you're shooting on, understand when and where the light will appear and the quality of it, and to take your time. If you get 12 half decent examples of street photography in a year you're doing well.