1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First film story(not me) … and the retailer (me)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Done_rundleCams, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I had one young girl come in, yesterday, with a Olympus P&S film camera, with
    a 34/2.8 lens -- Infinity? and she wanted to purchase some film and had been told to
    buy Ektar 100 (@$11) and Portra 400 (@ $14) :eek: I asked, how long she had been shooting
    film and she replied "never, this is my first film camera and this will be my first rolls of film." So,
    I advised her to, perhaps, start out with something less expensive, film wise, like an Agfa 200-36
    for $7 and to make sure her camera was working properly, first. We did the latter with a test roll
    and then she bought two rolls of Agfa 400-36 @ $8 each and an extra CR-P2 battery for a total
    of $20 …. less than the other 2 rolls ;)

Hopefully, she'll come back for some more rolls ;)

*** anyone, remember the purchasing of their first roll of film?***

Cheers,

Jack

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jack,

No, but I can remember being given 4x 200 foot cans of Ilford FP3, woefully outdated, that had been stored in a nice warm warehouse in Bermuda... That fed my first serious camera, a Pentax SV, for a very long time. At the time I didn't even know which was the emulsion side.

Cheers,

R.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Yes, but what it was I've no idea, though the camera was a Kodak No 2Autographic. I seem to remember just about all eight were well exposed and quite artistic. God knows how, I hadn't a clue what I was doing and it's all been downhill ever since.

S

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I was supplied with film for much of my earlier photography by my father. He'd hand over his Ricoh SInglex (the first one with the Nikon F-mount, not the awful ones that they later made for Sears!) and I'd happily click away. The only caveats to him supplying the film were that he'd only supply back and white film and that I had to develop and process it myself.

When I decided that I wanted to take some colour pictures he informed me that I had enough pocket money to buy it myself and that I'd also have to pay for it to be processed and printed.

There was a little camera shop on Moston Lane in Harpurhey, Manchester and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but I do remember walking into there on a Saturday afternoon - my dad had driven me there but insisted on waiting outside, telling me that this was something that I had to do for myself.

There were a few people in the shop and when I walked in at the tender age of around ten years old more than a couple of eyebrows were raised. I recall making my way to the counter and asking the gentleman (who I clearly recall as wearing a brown, knee-length shop coat with the Paterson's logo on the pocket) for a 24 exposure roll of the new (at the time) Kodachrome 64.

I've no recollection of how much the film cost or what I paid to have it developed and printed however I'm fairly sure that I've still got the negatives somewhere!

Cheers, Jeff

5. Roger Hicks

Dear Jeff,

Kodacolor, surely: Kodachrome was a slide film.

Cheers,

R.

6. hotwenxynt

hotwenxynt In the Stop Bath

The Ricoh Singlex with a Nikon F mount was sold sometime around 1967/8 - some 50 or so years ago so this may be a little bit of memory lapse regarding the processing. What I remember at the time I was using Kodak Panatomic X - 40ASA (ISO) and bought one of the Nikon F mount cameras from a photographic shop in Princess Street, Edinburgh - it's name was Elena Mae - I think it is still on the go, but has moved a short distance away. I believe the name 'Elena Mae' is Gailic for Scottish Shop

The camera? Sadly I had it stolen in Koln, Germany a couple of years later.

7. Fishboy

Aaargh! Yes, you're absolutely correct. I know that the film I bought had just come out in the early 1970s so I had a quick cast around and came up Kodachrome 64. In reality it was probably Kodacolor II which was 80 ASA at the time (I think!).

Cheers, Jeff

8. Fishboy

The odd thing about it is that the lovely Rikenon 55mm f1.4, whilst theoretically a Nikon F-mount, won't fit on a Nikon of the time, yet genuine Nikon F-mount lenses fit on the Ricoh without a problem!

Cheers, Jeff

9. hotwenxynt

hotwenxynt In the Stop Bath

Absolutely correct about the lens mounts. Another memory lapse! All I was able to afford at the time for additional lenses was the Ricoh 135mm. Nikon lenses were out of my league, price wise.

I know the performance of the Ricoh lenses were way ahead of the enlarger lens I was using at the time. A Wray 50mm F4.5 with click stops in a Wray 35mm enlarger. The enlarger lenses to aim for at the time was a TTH Ental - again out of my price league!

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Jeff,

And now you can't give 'em away.

Cheers,

R.

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

When I was younger I only had a Panasonic compact film camera, using it for holiday snaps etc. I can't remember buying my first roll of film but I do remember that I would leave it into the chemist for developing and a week or two later I would get my prints back along with a free roll of film.

12. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

The first photographs I took was when I was about 6 or 7 on a Coronet Ambassador loaded with black & white Ilford 120 something! It was the family camera and only came out on special occasions although I would 'borrow' it from time to time and photograph whoever was playing in the street, didn't get my own camera until I was 10.

[​IMG]

13. Done_rundleCams

Wow, I really seemed to have started photography quite late :eek:, I purchased my K-1000 w/ 50mm in July 1985 but, really, never
    got "into" shooting -- i.e.: chasing the dragon ;) -- until around the fall of 1986, at the tender age of 32 and a half :eek:

Jack

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It's far too many beers ago for me to honestly remember what the first film I bought was other than to say it would have been a 126 cartridge and probably Kodak - so possibly Kodacolor-X or maybe Kodacolor II depending on whether I pestered my parents for the money or saved it out of my pocket money and exactly when I bought it. First roll of 35mm would almost certainly have been Kodalolor II as I didn't have any facility for slides at the time.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I know what my first 4 films through my first SLR were - Kodachrome 64, Kodacolor II, FP4 and Kodachrome 25.

16. Roger Hicks

Dear Nick,

Mine? All FP3...

Then I tried a little Kodachrome, and that was good too, but too expensive for a 16-year-old even at US PX (Post Exchange) prices, So: lots of (free, outdated, badly stored) FP3.

Cheers,

R.

17. Done_rundleCams

110 film from 1976 to 1984 (maybe around 6 cartridges)
    Disc Film (1984-85) ( 1 or, perhaps, 2 disc things ….. and I sold my first ever photo ($10) with my Disc camera :eek:)
    35mm film (1985 - 2001)
    Digital Film (2001 - October 3rd, 2016 …….. and counting ;)

Jack

18. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I cant remember the first film I bought but it was probably a Kodak 620. However I do remember the first film I got free. Our club got free Tri-X (I think 400 ft drums), 20x16 White smooth glossy, gallons of Tetenal and Fix. The film was wound into a Watson loader for home use. Wonderful freedom to experiment; Werra tested to destruction.

19. Done_rundleCams

Had a young girl come into the shop a few months back, Robert, looking for some 120 Film for her Box Brownie that would, normally,
    use 620 film when it was new, but, she had the proper film thingy to be able to use 120 film. I asked her, if she had been
    using the camera for a while now, which she hadn't, so I advised her that perhaps spending $6 on a roll of film would, perhaps,
    be wiser that purchasing a $15 roll of film :) She agreed … and has been back a few times to pick some more expensive
    film ;)

Jack

20. Guiri

Guiri Member

My first film was FP4. As I worked af May & Bakers and got a discount, it was developed in Promicrol and Amfix.