1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

First ever pictures, comments please

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by monkeys bunny, Jun 16, 2011.

1. monkeys bunny

monkeys bunny Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    So im very new to the art of photography and have just got myself a Nikon D5100, my very first ever SLR.
    So please be nice, but please help with your comments and please please remember im not up on the technical terms of all this so be very basic.
    Thank you

2. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! Why not just take loads of pictures and enjoy yourself? It was ages before I dared put something on here! Lol. So unless you are looking for some specific advice, it's hard to know what to say really I would have thought. And perhaps buy a good book to read up on photographic techniques. I'd enjoy your new camera, read the forum threads, and if you aren't getting the results you want, then just ask someone for help?

Of course, feel free to ignore the above completely! I'll potter off now.:cool:

3. Mr_P

Mr_P Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Firstly, its a nice enough scene, and nicely exposed :)

Unfortunately though, for me, it doesnt really do anything. Its almost there, in that your eye is drawn through the picture by the diagonals of the river banks which is a good thing so well done. The problem, is that whilst the eye is drawn through the frame from front to back, there isnt really anything of interest to to grab your attention on the way through. Its also a very busy frame, and you find yourself searching around the picture for something in case you have missed it.

If you are able to revisit the site, maybe try a more minimalist composition with less elements to distract the viewer. You can also try a different perspective, i.e. get lower down to create a different feel to your composition.

Just my opinion, but a good try anyway! Keep shooting, and keep posting!

Nick

4. Dougall

Dougall Well-Known Member

Welcome, and for your first photos great work keep at it and next master the camera come away from auto mode play about with your camera and enjoy.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Hi, it is a perfectly nice snap / record of a scene. Some useful advice above, so just keep not only banging away, but looking at other pictures and analysing what makes them good.
    To really make progress you will need complete control of aperture, speed and focus.

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Agree with what's been said. As Nick (Mr P) alludes to, the four triangles of water, sky and the two receding tree-lines give the picture good dynamism, but nothing grabs the eye.

An obvious device would be to have a rock looming large in the foreground.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I also agree with what's been said, but in this case, I think one thing would've improved the picture significantly; a lower viewpoint, as close as possible to water level.

8. monkeys bunny

thank you all so very much. Yes i totally agree, i do try not to have it on Auto because i could have just used my old compact for that, i again, i do not understand all of the technical movements and buttons yet.

Thank you all for you very kind advise i cannot revisit this particular place as its a 9hour drive but i have more ideas and things to think about for other shots now.

i posted it really because to me it looks like a 'nice' shot but i needed you all to tell me why it isnt, and you did, so thanks i shall keep trying

:)

9. monkeys bunny

thank you . unfortunately in this shot i could not get any lower but i have taken a few more of the same river but different parts when i could get down closer

10. IanJTurner

IanJTurner Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm new here too - and also quite new to photography, far from qualified to pass judgement! But I thought I'd mention something I've recently started to get the hang of.

When you stand looking at your scene, with the sound of the river, the rustling in the trees, the bird song, the wind on your face and the smell of the forest - it looks great, but your camera can't see any of those things. The camera will just faithfully record what the light is doing, and we need to learn how to see a scene the way the camera does.

As others have said, simplifying is often a good idea - and reading everything you can about the artistic and technical aspects of photography, and looking at other people's photos - but most of all - mucking about with your camera and enjoying it.

:)

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There are always ways of getting lower, but in some cases they require extra equipment - for example, you can put the camera on a monopod and hold it upside down, triggering the shutter with the self-timer. It's easy on cameras with a twist LCD, like your Nikon.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much in agreement with the above comments.

That said I've cropped it slightly to slightly move the vanishing point of the river making it less central and giving a more diagonal feel to the direction of the right riverbank.

[​IMG]

You have to suffer for your art you know...[​IMG]

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

When you get onto optimising the picture in post processing, it should come up more like this. Just selective levels correction.

[​IMG]