1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware for older cameras

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by PentaxManiac, Dec 21, 2021.

1. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

I've just bought a used EOS 40D. Very happy with it, too. Only one issue.

It's loaded with firmware v1.0.8. I know there are later versions, at least as high as v1.1.1, but the Canon web site keeps telling me that what's in my camera is up to date. So I'm wondering if Canon stop offering firmware after a certain time of a camera ceasing production?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Should be 1.1.2 available. Canon had a bit problem with some of their sites a week or two back, wasn't offering firmware for current models. They've corrected it for them, this could be a hangover - might be worth contacting them.

PentaxManiac likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's possible that small hardware changes made the firmware in later products incompatible with that in earlier models. The version you have may be the last one compatible with your particular camera.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Great camera

PentaxManiac likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There is no firmware listed on canon uk site or change log. If you know the american name for the camera you could try the usa site. I asume the cameras are the same, only the branding different.

6. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Hope that's the case. There's a phone number but so far I've found it engaged.

I like to have the latest firmware even if the fixes or new features promised on release are not things that affect me directly, because often manufacturers will include other corrections or updates they don't mention.

7. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Are you certain 1.1.2 it was? When I scored that mint but dusty 40d the only firmware I found was 1.1.1??
    It’s still on my laptop HD