1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firing a pair of 90EX flashguns?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Jun 17, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

As the title suggests
    Is there a way to fire a pair off camera with full ETTL?

I suspect it’s not possible - just wondered if a twin off camera flash lead ever existed.
    The 90EX is perfect for macro close ups.

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd have thought so, with an appropriate controller. I'm not uptodate on what is possible my main EX gun is a pre-wireless 420Ex and I use a ST-E2 infra-red controller, however old that is, it can support independent settings for 2 guns (A, B). My ring flash supports 3 (A,B,C) of which the first two are the sides of the flash.

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

5. pixelpuffin

I’m trying to keep this cheap and simple (a bit like me)
    I used one on the hot shoe, covered the head with tissue paper then reduced the flash via camera menu. Worked great
    I do have other flash guns, but for close up I find I need very little power, the 270ex are more than enough. My other being the 580 Mk1- that never sees use just too big and cumbersome.

ideally I’d like a simple lead off the hot shoe to link both 90EX too. Does such a thing exist?

The flash receivers are way overkill for what I’m looking for, plus just means more batteries, setting up etc etc

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  6. PeteRob

If you’ve got other guns, can you use one on the camera as a master only, i.e. without it firing?

7. pixelpuffin

I could do that Pete or could use the st e2 but I was wanting to make this as light and small as possible
    The 90ex worked great on FF
    But ideally I’ll use the SL1 for both the above reasons plus much better DOF
    I’ll be using the 35mm macro stm
    A pair of 90ex as lights would be terrific

8. PeteRob

If you’ve got a ST-E2 try that. It is pretty small and light. Assuming it will drive the 90 EX

9. pixelpuffin

I didn’t try simply because the 90ex has no slave function - which I assume it needs to fire??

10. PeteRob

Didn’t realise. Thought they could all be slaves these days

11. pixelpuffin

Ironic really, in that all the clever gimmicks yet there’s no foolproof way to fire multiple flashes via cord.
    Never mind, I’ll use just the one 90ex off camera via cord and see what the results are like.
    Truth be told I often think using more that one light gives 2 catchlights which looks odd - I merely wanted the 2nd light to diffuse the shadows - I’ll try substituting the 2nd flash for a piece of white card (or maybe black card??) as a reflector

I’ll see what I can do

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020