1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire alarm legislation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Oct 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I live in a small flat that consists of five rooms arranged around a central hallway. We have a combination smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector in our bedroom because that's where the boiler is. If anyone grills anything, anything at all, the smoke detector goes off. We have to close the bedroom door and stuff a towel under the gap that is created by the sloping floor, close the kitchen door and then grill things. It is deafening when it goes off. I'm trying to imagine the cacophony that additional linked smoke detectors in the kitchen itself, the hallway and the living room would create if they were all linked and someone fancied a bacon sarnie.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to return to a blackhouse and say sod this nanny state.

Geren likes this.
  3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'm tempted to say how on earth did legislation permit your boiler to be in your bedroom? I'd have thought that would be in breach of some sort of regulation. It can't be healthy, for one,. let alone be the safest place to locate it

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

My bungalow in Ruislip had the boiler in the main bedroom. TBH I'm not sure where else it could go.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Just noticed this from a fireman I fixed bikes for....

20201021_210351.jpg

Catriona, dream_police and Zou like this.
  6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Since 1998 only room sealed boilers are allowed in bedrooms.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There's a sexist joke in that I think... :eek:

SqueamishOssifrage and Gezza like this.
  8. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Last thi g I read was that boilers could be installed in a bedroom provided venting regulations etc were met. Very often legislation overtakes current installations making new installations illegal, but not current units already installed.

9. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Room sealed boilers take combustion air and exhaust flue gases to outside. All other installations are illegal, including existing ones. This applies to bathrooms as well as bedrooms.

10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

No boilers in my bedroom - I go for the high class stuff!

Gezza likes this.
  11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this mayvbe an issue with just flats since I must admidt having a boiler in a bedroom , safe or not, would scare the hell out of me personally. Mine is and always has been in the garage.

12. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I have a heat alarm in the kitchen, a smoke alarm in the hallway and a CO2 alarm in the kitchen by the boiler cupboard, they work just fine used to be we had a fire alarm as well that if it was activated would go off all over the building. Alas Esther upstairs set it off by accident on a Friday night, so instantly we had 4 (1 for each flat and 1 for the hallway) LOUD alarms kick off. The plan was we should have all had keys to reset the system but the landlord refused to give us them in case one of us switched it off and left it off so we ended up having to put up with this deafening racket until the wee small hours when they finally did an emergency call out and the only way the engineer solve the problem meant the system was now permanently off and has been for years

Got the newsletter from my landlord yesterday, yes, there have been changes and they will be looking into things but houses under 8 storeys will be done in the next wave so I won't hear anything until April next year if not longer

Catriona likes this.
  13. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

My boiler is at the far end of my kitchen.

I have CO2 alarms in the kitchen and hallway, along with smoke alarms in all rooms except the bathroom and all are mains powered/linked.

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

It should be a heat alarm in the kitchen

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I no longer have a boiler. It died, a few years ago.

When I bought my 3-bed house in 1982 it came with truly central heating - a massive cast iron gas-fired boiler sited in the centre of the house on the ground floor, well away from any external wall. It was provided with its own room, dedicated air supply, and flue. It was totally reliable for more than 30 years, and servicing was a brushing of the gas jets once a year, and occasional replacement of the flame-failure thermocouple,and blowing through the gas pilot-light tube. When the boiler did start leaking the legislation no longer allowed this type of boiler as a replacement.

I considered how much work and disruption there would be should I have a light-weight wall-hung condensing boiler sited in my kitchen, and with the necessary changes to the pipework at the same time. I decided against the disruption, and since then I've relied on my home being heated by a number of electric convector heaters. Most are oil-filled, some are on a time switch (with frost override) and there's one which isn't for a more rapid response. There's no doubt that the house isn't as warm as it used to be, but I'm no longer heating unused bedrooms. Now that there's talk of domestic gas heating being on the way out, perhaps I made the right decision.

One change I have made is to close the once-obligatory fresh-air vent insisted on by a local gas fitter who completely ignored the dedicated air supply for the gas boiler, and which had a larger area than that required by the relevant approved BS, but was of a different style & looked different! Well trained (?) but not an engineer...

16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

My current boiler is in a boiler room outside the house. It's an oil fired Grant Vortex. No mains gas here.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Do you really have carbon dioxide alarms fitted? Usually only needed in specific circumstances. I'm guessing you meant CO, carbon monoxide. :rolleyes:

18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

When we repaired our house, after the flood 5 years ago, we had an instantaneous gas water heater installed. The old low pressure hot water cylinder was found to be leaking. We could have put in a mains pressure water cylinder, but the necessary permit from the council would have taken a fortnight or so to get, whereas the gas fitter can certify an instantaneous installation. We don't have central heating.

19. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^
    Do you need central heating or are you blessed with a climate that means it's not necessary?

20. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The climate here is milder than in the UK. We have 2 x 5.2Kw heatpumps for heating.

Catriona likes this.